OED Grievances: Common Causes, Recent Trends, Practical Guidance, Differences From Malpractice Actions
What to do When You Receive an OED Grievance and Best Practices to Avoid Them
A live 90-minute premium CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will guide patent and trademark counsel on the OED process by which lawyers who practice before the USPTO get disciplined. The presenter will describe the common causes for OED grievances and summarize recent trends in OED decisions. She will also explain the differences and similarities between an OED grievance and a malpractice action and provide best practices to avoid both. The presenter will highlight recent OED decisions to shed light on the types of violations the office has been prosecuting and will provide practical guidance on what to do if there is an ethics complaint filed against you.
- Overview of the OED process
- Common causes for OED grievances
- Recent trends in OED decisions
- OED grievances vs. malpractice actions
- Practical guidance when facing disciplinary action
The presenter will review these and other important issues:
- What behavior could be problematic and put patent counsel at risk of facing an OED grievance?
- What do recent OED decisions reveal about behavior that draws OED attention?
- What steps can patent counsel take to minimize the risk of OED grievances?
Hilary P. Gerzhoy
Ms. Gerzhoy, Vice Chair of HWG’s Legal Ethics and Malpractice group, focuses her practice on legal ethics, white... | Read More
Ms. Gerzhoy, Vice Chair of HWG’s Legal Ethics and Malpractice group, focuses her practice on legal ethics, white collar defense, and complex civil litigation.Close