New IRS Tax Collection and Audit Guidance for Taxpayers in Response to COVID-19
Relief for Complex Collection Cases, Strategies for Individuals and Small Businesses, Securing Abatement of Penalties and Interest
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE/CPE webinar with Q&A
This CLE/CPE course will guide tax professionals and advisers on grasping critical tax collection and audit-related issues and solutions in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. The panel will discuss essential items of the new IRS People First Initiative and subsequent guidance including, unique compliance opportunities for taxpayers due to collection relief, and postponed compliance actions and strategies for individuals and businesses in securing abatement of penalties and interest.
- IRS response to COVID-19; current guidance and the People First Initiative
- Compliance opportunities for taxpayers
- Collection relief efforts
- Postponed compliance actions and interim steps for taxpayers
- Securing abatement of penalties and interest
- Additional tax issues and solutions for tax practitioners and taxpayers including
- How is the IRS communicating with taxpayers and their representatives during the pandemic?
- How have the Tax Court, and the IRS Independent Office of Appeals been impacted by the pandemic?
- Activities not postponed by the IRS
- Damages for IRS taking illegal collection action
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What guidance has the IRS provided to taxpayers in response to the coronavirus pandemic?
- What opportunities does the IRS People First Initiative offer taxpayers who are currently in collections?
- What procedures should be taken by taxpayers subject to postponed compliance actions?
- What are the steps to secure an abatement of penalties and interest?
- What are other tax issues and solutions for taxpayers and tax professionals?
Dennis N. Brager, Esq.
Certified Tax Specialist
Brager Tax Law Group
Mr. Brager is a nationally known tax litigation attorney, representing clients in criminal and civil tax litigation and... | Read More
Mr. Brager is a nationally known tax litigation attorney, representing clients in criminal and civil tax litigation and tax controversy matters. Before founding the Brager Tax Law Group, a Los Angeles-based tax litigation and tax controversy law firm, he was a senior trial attorney for the Internal Revenue Service’s Office of Chief Counsel. Since 2008 he has represented several hundred clients with offshore accounts. He also represents clients on a variety of issues, including criminal and civil tax fraud, tax audit and appeals, payroll and sales tax problems, tax preparer penalties, innocent spouse defenses, offers in compromise, installment payment agreements, Office of Professional Responsibility (“OPR”) defenses and more.Close
Ms. Obeid is the founder of MFO LAW, P.C. She represents individual and corporate clients in civil and criminal matters... | Read More
Ms. Obeid is the founder of MFO LAW, P.C. She represents individual and corporate clients in civil and criminal matters involving the Internal Revenue Service, state and city tax agencies, the tax division of the Department of Justice, the United States Attorney’s Office, the District Attorney’s Office, the New York State Attorney General as well as other government agencies.Close