New IRS Scrutiny on Cryptocurrency Reporting: Filing Requirements and Exchange Treatment
A live 90-minute premium CLE/CPE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE/CPE webinar will provide tax counsel, accountants and other advisers with a critical first look at new IRS initiatives on taxpayer compliance and reporting obligations for cryptocurrency transactions. The panel will discuss the IRS position on cryptocurrency as property rather than cash, analyze IRS monitoring to increase compliance, consider criminal investigations and prosecutions for failing to report cryptocurrency transactions accurately, and define proper reporting and tax treatment for "mining" and exchanging cryptocurrency.
- Types of cryptocurrency
- Means of obtaining cryptocurrency
- Current IRS guidance
- Valuation issues
- Tax reporting requirements for cryptocurrency exchanges
- Disclosure requirements for cryptocurrency ownership
- Criminal investigations and prosecutions for failing to properly report cryptocurrency transactions
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the limitations on loss recognition on cryptocurrency transactions and exchanges?
- What are the income tax reporting requirements for cryptocurrency exchanges and valuations?
- What position does IRS appear to be taking on whether cryptocurrency exchanges qualify for 1031 treatment as well as the impact of tax reform?
- What are the disclosure requirements for cryptocurrency ownership?
- How to use the IRS Voluntary Disclosure policy to get into compliance and the availability of "qualified amended returns" to avoid penalties?
Michel R. Stein
Hochman Salkin Toscher Perez
Mr. Stein specializes in tax controversies, as well as tax planning for individuals, businesses and corporations. For... | Read More
Mr. Stein specializes in tax controversies, as well as tax planning for individuals, businesses and corporations. For almost 20 years, he has represented individuals with sensitive issue civil tax examinations where substantial penalty issues may arise, and extensively advised individuals on foreign and domestic voluntary disclosures regarding foreign account and asset compliance matters. He handles matters arising from the U.S. Government’s ongoing enforcement efforts regarding undeclared interests in foreign financial accounts and assets. He has assisted hundreds of individuals who have come into compliance with their foreign reporting requirements through the OVDP, Streamline or otherwise.Close
Hochman Salkin Toscher Perez
Mr. Toscher has been representing clients for more than 35 years before the IRS, the Tax Divisions of the U.S.... | Read More
Mr. Toscher has been representing clients for more than 35 years before the IRS, the Tax Divisions of the U.S. Department of Justice and the Office of the United States Attorney (C.D. Cal.), numerous state taxing authorities and in federal and state court litigation and appeals. His tax practice includes a wide array of substantive areas including income taxes, estate taxes, employment taxes, excise taxes, sales taxes and property taxes. He is routinely involved in sensitive issues or complex civil tax examinations and administrative appeals on behalf of individuals and their closely held entities and large corporations involving both domestic and foreign tax related issues.Close
Buy Live Webinar
See NASBA details.
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
A savings of $250
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$444 + $19.45 S&H