Negotiating Hotel Purchase and Sale Transactions: Key Legal Issues for Buyers and Sellers
Closing Contingencies and Reps and Warranties; Evaluating Existing Management and Franchise Agreements
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss the key legal issues in the purchase and sale of a hotel property, taking into account the unique issues in this asset class. The program will focus on seller representations and warranties, key contract provisions in the purchase and sale agreement, and retention or termination of the hotel management/franchise affiliation. The program will also address the significance of the terms of the hotel management agreement.
- Seller representations and warranties in the purchase and sale agreement
- Closing contingencies in the purchase and sale agreement
- Retaining or terminating the hotel management/franchise affiliation
- Vetting the hotel management or franchise agreement
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- Why are seller representations and warranties so critical in the purchase of a hotel property?
- What are best practices for drafting seller representations and warranties and closing conditions that protect both buyer and seller?
- What unique issues involved in the purchase of a hotel property must be included in the closing contingencies of the purchase and sale agreement?
- What issues involved in the purchase and sale will be addressed in the hotel management or franchise agreement?
Founder and CEO
JF Capital Advisors
Mr. Falik leads the firm's hospitality business, which includes equity and debt placement, asset acquisitions and... | Read More
Mr. Falik leads the firm's hospitality business, which includes equity and debt placement, asset acquisitions and dispositions, portfolio transactions, JV structuring, asset management, management company and brand evaluation, and strategic and capital markets advisory services. Previously, he was a Senior Managing Director and the Head of Hospitality Capital Markets at BGC Real Estate Capital Markets. Simultaneously, he was the Head of Hotel Investment Sales for Newmark Grubb Knight Frank. Prior to that, he was a Managing Director and Head of the Lodging and Leisure Investment Banking group at Cantor Fitzgerald & Co. Prior to joining Cantor Fitzgerald, he was the founder and CEO of JF Capital Advisors, a lodging advisory and principal investment firm.Close
Tara K. Gorman
Ms. Gorman represents sellers, owners and licensors in the acquisition, disposition, finance, development, management... | Read More
Ms. Gorman represents sellers, owners and licensors in the acquisition, disposition, finance, development, management and leasing of major hospitality, resort and commercial properties. Her property deal portfolio includes domestic and international hotels, office buildings, condo-hotels, water parks, casinos, restaurants and retail stores. Additional areas of practice depth include telecommunications and finance. She counsels clients on management and licensing and branding agreements, website service, telecom licensing and lease agreements. She frequently speaks and writes on emerging real estate issues, including on brand standards in hotel management agreements and best practices in hotel sale negotiations.Close
Daniel G.M. Marre
Mr. Marre's practice focuses on real estate transactions and development, with an emphasis on the hotel... | Read More
Mr. Marre's practice focuses on real estate transactions and development, with an emphasis on the hotel industry. He has significant experience with transactions affecting commercial property, including acquisitions, dispositions, construction, development, financing and leasing.Close