Navigating the New EU Unitary Patent System and Unified Patent Court
Strategic Considerations for U.S. Applicants and Patentees
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to patent counsel on the new EU Unitary Patent System and the European Unified Patent Court. Also covered will be the nuts and bolts of the systems as well as strategic considerations for U.S. applicants and patentees with European portfolios.
- Nuts and bolts of the new Unitary Patent System and UPC
- Strategic considerations for U.S. applicants and patentees with European portfolios
- Guidance on what needs to be done to prepare for the new system
The panel will review these and other important issues:
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of the EU Unitary Patent System? How does it differ from the current system?
- What are the benefits and risks of the new Unified Patent Court?
- What key considerations should companies and their counsel keep in mind as they navigate the new systems?
- What steps should patent counsel take to prepare for the new systems?
Dr. Hazel Ford
Dr. Ford has extensive experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications at the European Patent Office (EPO) and... | Read More
Dr. Ford has extensive experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications at the European Patent Office (EPO) and coordinating patent proceedings internationally. She also has substantial experience with EPO opposition and appeal proceedings, both in drafting and filing oppositions against other parties' patents, and defending clients' patents against oppositions filed by their competitors. She advises clients on all aspects of patent strategy, including coordination of related patents and patent applications worldwide, interactions between drafting, prosecution and opposition matters, and assessment of how patent portfolio can be strengthened in view of a client's business goals.Close
Leythem A. Wall
European Patent Attorney
Mr. Wall’s practice involves patent drafting, prosecution, opinions on infringement and validity,... | Read More
Mr. Wall’s practice involves patent drafting, prosecution, opinions on infringement and validity, freedom-to-operate assessment, portfolio management, and UK and pan-European pre-litigation strategy including detailed advice on the proposed Unified Patent Court. He has extensive experience in European oppositions and appeals including representation in oral proceedings before the European Patent Office (EPO). He has also successfully coordinated oppositions and appeals in China and India.Close