Municipal Regulation and Use of Drones: FAA Rules, State Laws, and Preemption Issues
Leveraging Opportunities and Overcoming Challenges of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will explore issues facing municipalities due to increased use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs)--or drones. The panel will discuss current Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations regarding drones, preemption issues that local governments must navigate, the use of drones by local governments, and local regulation of drones to further safety, privacy, or proprietary interests.
- Overview of drone technology and uses
- Review of FAA laws, regulations, and implemented "Part 107"
- Municipal regulatory issues arising from drone use
- Opportunities for municipal use of drones
- Preemption issues
The panel will review these and other noteworthy issues:
- What types of local UAV regulations are most vulnerable to FAA preemption?
- What risk management issues are raised by municipal use of drones?
- What privacy rights are implicated by municipal use of drones?
- How can municipalities use existing laws to regulate drones, such as zoning regulations to restrict drone takeoff and landing sites?
- What impact will the FAA's new drone rules have on the ability of municipalities to regulate local drone use?
Thaddeus R. Lightfoot
Dorsey & Whitney
Mr. Lightfoot has represented clients in numerous private party environmental litigation matters and governmental... | Read More
Mr. Lightfoot has represented clients in numerous private party environmental litigation matters and governmental enforcement actions. He also advises clients regarding compliance with federal, state, and local environmental laws. He has represented corporate clients in a variety of sectors, including the mining, forest products, paper, steel, manufacturing, electronics, pharmaceutical, real estate development, and ethanol industries, as well as governmental units and other public entities.Close
Aleshire & Wynder
Mr. Wright-Bushman assists the firm’s clients with a wide variety of issues including contracts, public works,... | Read More
Mr. Wright-Bushman assists the firm’s clients with a wide variety of issues including contracts, public works, land use, ordinances and resolutions, the Brown Act, the Public Records Act, drone law, marijuana law, code enforcement, and rent control in mobilehome parks. He also has broad litigation experience, having worked on cases involving civil rights, land use, dangerous conditions of public property, pension law, and nuisance abatement. Mr. Wright-Bushman serves as the Assistant City Attorney for the City of Chino, the City of Lompoc, and the City of Morro Bay.Close