Municipal Land Use Regulation: Challenging Historic Notions of the Public's Best Interests and Zoning Changes
A live 90-minute CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will explore provocative and novel issues facing cities or counties hoping to change often-Byzantine land use laws on critical subjects, best strategies for developers seeking to change zoning or obtain variances, and strategies and tools for those who wish to protect existing zoning and regulatory schemes.
- Overview of municipal land use law
- Zoning and related tools
- Land use approval process and strategies for changing zoning
- Novel subjects for regulation by municipalities
- Personal transportation
- Affordability of housing, density, homeless housing
- Environmental and sustainability initiatives
- Eminent domain and takings
- Challenges to board decisions and zoning ordinances
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the most pressing issues in land use regulation for local government, and which techniques are most effective for addressing these issues?
- What federal laws and regulations most affect land use decisions? And on which topics?
- Are ordinances passed without in-person meetings valid?
- What are best strategies for those seeking to change zoning or seek variances?
Sive Paget & Riesel
Mr. Barshov’s areas of specialization include land use law, environmental law, local government law, real estate,... | Read More
Mr. Barshov’s areas of specialization include land use law, environmental law, local government law, real estate, as well as related litigation. Having represented numerous developers, businesses, municipalities, and community organizations in more than 30 years of practice, Mr. Barshov has handled projects of all sizes — from a large master planned community of 1195 units with a commercial center, to a small 3-unit subdivision, both inside and outside New York City. He has litigated in the U.S. Supreme Court; in federal courts in the Second, Fifth and Tenth Circuits; and at the New York Court of Appeals, Appellate Divisions, and trial courts in multiple counties. Mr. Barshov has been qualified as a land use law expert witness in Supreme Court, Nassau County. He has written and lectured extensively in his areas of expertise. Mr. Barshov is an adjunct Professor of Law at Brooklyn Law School where he has taught Land Use Law, State and Local Government Law, and Real Estate Practice.Close
Katharine A. Coffey
Ms. Coffey assists clients with commercial and multi-family development and redevelopment, including land use and... | Read More
Ms. Coffey assists clients with commercial and multi-family development and redevelopment, including land use and zoning, rezoning, redevelopment law and financial incentives, real estate transactions, and real estate related litigation. She works with developers from the inception of their project, beginning with negotiation and drafting of purchase agreements and leases, and sees a project through to its approvals and entitlements from local planning and zoning boards and state agencies. She also has significant experience in state and local incentive programs.Close
Early Discount (through 06/03/22)
Cannot Attend June 30?
Early Discount (through 06/03/22)
You may pre-order a recording to listen at your convenience. Recordings are available 48 hours after the webinar. Strafford will process CLE credit for one person on each recording. All formats include course handouts.