Multidistrict Litigation: Advanced Strategies for Managing and Defending MDLs
Voluntary Dismissals, Orders Imposing Evidentiary Requirements for Asserted Claims, Sanctions, and Case-Specific Motion Practice
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss the latest trends in multidistrict litigation (MDL), favorable defense decisions where MDL courts have used omnibus motion practice to address common issues, and additional strategies and tools available to successfully resolve MDL claims.
- Recent MDL trends
- Strategies and trial tactics
- Case management
- Pre-trial motions
- Bellwether strategies
- Settlement issues in the MDL context
- Best practices and practical considerations
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the most effective tools for defending MDLs?
- What factors inform the strategic choices when defending a client faced with a consolidated class action or MDL proceeding?
- What are the considerations and best practices for counsel for managing discovery, evidentiary issues, and expert witnesses in these suits?
- What are the unique challenges that MDLs present?
- What are the most effective methods for discovery, scheduling, case management, and pre-trial motions?
- What have been the most successful use of bellwether strategies?
Douglas G. Smith, PC
Kirkland & Ellis
Mr. Smith has litigated cases at both the trial and appellate stage in state and federal courts throughout the country,... | Read More
Mr. Smith has litigated cases at both the trial and appellate stage in state and federal courts throughout the country, including commercial, mass tort, product liability, securities, bankruptcy, environmental, and intellectual property cases. He is a member of the American Law Institute and has published on a wide variety of legal topics.Close
Philip M. Oliss
Mr. Oliss represents clients in complex, high-stakes civil litigation, with an emphasis on consumer class action... | Read More
Mr. Oliss represents clients in complex, high-stakes civil litigation, with an emphasis on consumer class action defense and business restructuring-related litigation. He has successfully defended Fortune 500 clients in multistate class action litigation involving alleged consumer fraud, false advertising, and product defects.Close