Meeting FAS 109 Compliance Challenges
Tackling Allowance Releases, Return-to-Tax-Provision Reconciliations and Other Complex Issues
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This webinar will prepare accounting advisors to make sound decisions about persistently complex compliance and reporting challenges arising from ASC 740 (FAS 109) on accounting for income taxes.
- Persistent taxpayer challenges with ASC 740 (FAS 109)
- Tax return-tax provision reconciliations
- Return errors-estimate changes reconciliations
- Release of valuation allowances
- As states convert to single-sales apportionment, their net deferred taxes could be overstated
- Dealing with new accounting guidance for convertible debt instruments, affecting recognition and measurement of interest cost
- Recognizing changes in tax rates, including phase-in periods
- Effects of goodwill impairment test on deferred taxes
- Impact on FAS 141R on business combinations tax accounting and transaction costs
- Implications of compliance and disclosure decisions made for those challenges
- Best practices and alternative approaches
The panel will analyze these and other relevant issues:
- Reconciling income tax returns with tax provisions, or errors with changes in estimates.
- Timing of the release of valuation allowances.
- Timing of the handling of tax rate changes, including phase-in periods.
- Handling goodwill impairments and the effects of a goodwill impairment test.
Burr Pilger & Mayer
He has 30 years of public accounting and tax experience involving tax strategies, business transactions, income tax... | Read More
He has 30 years of public accounting and tax experience involving tax strategies, business transactions, income tax provisions, and option-related and compensation-related planning, among other engagements.Close
He has more than 15 years of experience with business and individual tax engagements; accounting for federal, state and... | Read More
He has more than 15 years of experience with business and individual tax engagements; accounting for federal, state and local taxes for financial statement purposes; and tax compliance. He works extensively with large and small companies regarding FAS 109/FIN 48 implementation.Close
Andrew Cates, CPA
He has worked with the firm since 1995 on researching tax issues, reviewing returns and disclosures, and SoX 404... | Read More
He has worked with the firm since 1995 on researching tax issues, reviewing returns and disclosures, and SoX 404 reporting, among other activities. He is the firm's Northwest designated specialist for SEC financial reporting matters involving income taxes.Close
Alvarez & Marsal Taxand
He has more than 11 years of tax advisory experience working with multi-national companies on tax planning and... | Read More
He has more than 11 years of tax advisory experience working with multi-national companies on tax planning and compliance, financial reporting, FAS 109 tax reporting and accounting, and Sarbanes-Oxley documentation and compliance. Previously in his career, he worked for Ernst & Young and PricewaterhouseCoopers.Close