Medical Expert Depositions in Workers' Compensation Cases: Deposing Experts and Raising Strategic Objections
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will guide workers’ compensation attorneys in planning for, taking, defending and objecting to medical expert depositions. The panel will discuss effective questioning techniques and offer practical strategies for raising objections.
- Determining whether to depose a medical expert using a risk/benefit analysis
- Preparing for the deposition
- Taking and defending medical expert’s deposition
- Questioning the witness
- Raising and defending objections
- Using exhibits
- Post-deposition strategies—using deposition information
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the most common challenges workers’ compensation counsel face when taking and defending depositions of medical experts?
- What deposition questioning techniques will maximize the information obtained from the medical expert witness?
- What strategies are effective when raising and responding to objections during depositions?
Scott M. Blumen
The Law Offices of Scott Blumen
Mr. Blumen exclusively handles personal injury and workers’ compensation cases. He produces favorable... | Read More
Mr. Blumen exclusively handles personal injury and workers’ compensation cases. He produces favorable results because of a clearly-defined mission to listen to clients and achieve their goals through responsible and effective representation on a cost-efficient basis.Close
Scott W. Gedeon
Fisher & Phillips
Mr. Gedeon has represented employers in all phases of the workers’ compensation process. He specializes in... | Read More
Mr. Gedeon has represented employers in all phases of the workers’ compensation process. He specializes in defending both self-insured and state-funded employers in workers’ compensation appeals to the Court of Common Pleas involving allegations of occupational injury and disease. Mr. Gedeon has prosecuted and defended numerous mandamus proceedings in the Ohio Court of Appeals on behalf of employers, and is also experienced in handling matters before all levels of the Industrial Commission of Ohio and the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation’s Adjudicating Committee.Close