Medical and Recreational Cannabis and the Workplace: Drug Testing, Determining Impairment, Disability Accommodations
Safety-Sensitive Positions, Workers Compensation, and Proposed Federal Legislation
Recording of a 90-minute CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will advise employment counsel on the issues around medical and recreational cannabis use and legalization. The panel will address drug testing issues and potential discrimination claims related to safety-sensitive positions or medical marijuana cardholders. The panel will discuss the future of legalization and employer liability issues.
- Status of state laws
- Recreational use
- Medical permits
- Recent states that approved legalization
- Potential federal action
- Medical accommodations
- Employment discrimination claims
- Recreational vs. medical
- Drug testing
- Safety sensitive positions
- Best practices
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What is the status of state legalization of cannabis? What states allow recreational use?
- What employment protections do to medical marijuana statutes include?
- What should employers consider regarding drug testing in states with cannabis legalization laws?
- How should employers communicate their marijuana policies and practices with employees?
- What constitutes a safety-sensitive position?
Robert B. Fitzpatrick
Robert B. Fitzpatrick
Mr. Fitzpatrick has over forty years of experience in all aspects of employment law and the resolution of employment... | Read More
Mr. Fitzpatrick has over forty years of experience in all aspects of employment law and the resolution of employment disputes. Not only has he successfully resolved literally thousands of employment disputes over the years, he has written extensively on the subject and, upon occasion, serves as a mediator of employment disputes.Close
David L. Zwisler
Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart
Mr. Zwisler’s broad range of labor and employment experience includes overseeing and conducting comprehensive... | Read More
Mr. Zwisler’s broad range of labor and employment experience includes overseeing and conducting comprehensive audits of employment policies and practices, including drafting and editing employee handbooks, executive contracts, and severance, noncompetition, non-solicitation, confidentiality and trade secret agreements. He also oversees and conducts wage and hour compliance audits and provides counsel on FLSA compliance.Close