Managing Sales and Use Tax Risk: Reviewing Nexus Activities, Procurement Processes and Policies to Minimize Exposure
A live 110-minute CPE webinar with interactive Q&A
Tuesday, May 2, 2017 (in 8 days)
1:00pm-2:50pm EDT, 10:00am-11:50am PDT
This webinar will provide sales and use tax advisers and compliance professionals with a thorough and practical guide to designing a policy and procedures review to identify sales tax exposure and eliminate unnecessary sales and use tax risk. The panel will discuss structuring test processes to evaluate nexus presence questions, review collections and payable accounts, and identify problem areas in the sales and use tax collection and reporting regime.
An increasingly important challenge for corporate tax advisers and finance professionals is the task of proactively identifying and minimizing sales and use tax reporting and payment obligations. Conducting comprehensive reviews of a company’s policies, procedures and nexus activities is essential to managing sales and use tax risks.
As multiple states continue to expand interpretations of activities that trigger business taxpayer nexus, companies face increased exposure to new sales tax collection and remittance obligations. To manage that risk, corporate tax advisers must engage internal stakeholders in all stages of both the sales and procurement processes to ensure that all tax obligations are identified, and tax collected and remitted at the appropriate rates.
In addition to identifying sales tax obligations, multistate corporations must ensure that use tax registrations are current and that use tax accruals are kept current. Sales tax advisers often must maintain accurate sales and use tax reserves as part of the company’s financial reporting obligations. This becomes especially important to companies involved in merger or consolidation activities.
Listen as our experienced panel provides a thorough and practical guide to conducting a sales and use tax risk review, including nexus studies, procurement monitoring, and payable account maintenance.
- Records and processes to examine in a sales and use tax compliance review
- Nexus reviews to ensure that the company has identified potential areas of economic presence
- Develop, automate and review a sales tax decision matrix, addressing the taxability of the Company’s purchases and sales
- Intra-company questionnaires to discern problem areas
- Use of prior year filings, previous audits and other documentations to determine sales and use tax risk
- Develop audit best practices and protocol
The panel will discuss these and other important questions:
- Designing a policy and procedures review to discover and evaluate sales and use tax risk
- Evaluating state nexus standards and analyzing corporate activities in key states
- Monitoring sales and use tax payable accounts to ensure adequate controls are in place
- Implementing processes to verify that all registrations to accrue use taxes are current and accurate
- Reviewing a company’s procurement processes to identify hidden sales and use tax obligations
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Discern best practices to incorporate in implementing a review process of company policies and procedures to identify and manage sales and use tax risk
- Recognize critical points in a company’s purchasing cycle to examine in a comprehensive sales and use tax risk review
- Identify steps to implement a multistate nexus review as a component of a sales and use tax risk management process
Michael T. Dillon, Esq., President
Dillon Tax Consulting,
Mr. Dillon is an attorney specializing in multistate sales and use tax matters for multistate and multinational businesses. For more than 20 years, as leader of his firm, practice leader for global accounting firms and in-house for two publicly-traded technology companies, Mike has successfully helped companies identify multistate nexus, negotiate settlements of historical exposure, register and automate sales and use tax compliance processes, and address risk during M&A activity. Mike has successfully represented taxpayers in over 200 sales tax audits, often coming in when “all hope is lost” to beneficially resolve the matter. He is highly sought to lecture and opine on sales tax matters.
Martin Eisenstein, Managing Partner
Brann & Isaacson,
Mr. Eisenstein is one of the nation’s leading experts in state and local taxation of information technology. He has wide experience in state and local tax issues and has represented prominent providers in major litigations, including filing amicus briefs in the United States Supreme Court. He is a regular contributor to State Tax Notes, among other publications, writing on state tax developments. Mr. Eisenstein has been selected consistently by his peers as one of The Best Lawyers in America.
Registration per Person for Live Event
Live Webinar $247.00
Live Webinar & CPE Processing $282.00
CPE per Person on Live Event
Continuing Professional Education credit processing is available for an additional fee. CPE processing must be ordered prior to the event. To qualify for CPE you may not listen via the telephone.
This program is eligible for 2.0 CPE credits.
- Field of Study: Taxes.
- Level of Knowledge: Intermediate.
- Advance Preparation: None.
- Teaching Method: Seminar/Lecture.
- Delivery Method: Group-Internet (via computer).
- Attendance Monitoring Method: Attendance is monitored electronically via a participant's PIN and through a series of verification codes announced throughout the presentation.
- Prerequisite: Three years+ business or public firm experience at mid-level within the organization, preparing complex tax forms and schedules; supervisory authority over other preparers/accountants. Specific knowledge and understanding of strength and weaknesses of policy and procedure generating Sales and Use Tax risks.
NOTE: CPE credit processing for all attendees must be ordered by 2pm Eastern the day of the program to receive a Certificate of Attendance within 24 hours.
Includes full event recording plus handouts (available after live webinar).
Note: Self-study CPE and EA credits are not offered on recorded events.
Recorded Webinar Download $247.00
Available 48 hours after the live event
Recorded Audio Download (MP3) $247.00
Available 24 hours after the live event
DVD (Slide Presentation with Audio) $247.00
plus $9.45 S&H
Available ten business days after the live event
Registration Plus Recorded Event
Live Webinar & Webinar Download $344.00
Recorded Webinar Download Only $97.00 with Registration/Webinar Combo
Live Webinar & Audio Download $344.00
Recorded Audio Download (MP3) Only $97.00 with Registration/MP3 Combo
Live Webinar & DVD $344.00 plus $9.45 S&H
DVD (Slide Presentation with Audio) Only $97.00 with Registration/DVD Combo
NASBA CPE Sponsor
Strafford Publications, Inc. is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
IRS Approved Provider
Strafford is an IRS-approved continuing education provider offering certified courses for Enrolled Agents (EA) and Tax Return Preparers (RTRP).
Strafford is a NASBA CPE sponsor and our live webinars qualify for CPE credits. They offer you a high quality, cost effective, and convenient CPE option, with no lost travel time or expenses.
Coverage was practical and straightforward. Well done.
Stuart J. Frentz
Bradley Arant Boult Cummings
Offered different view points and real life, practical examples.
I found the presenters to be very experienced and the Q&A's to be particularly useful.
American Eagle Outfitters
I thought that the speakers were very knowledgeable and their presentation materials will be good reference guides.
Claudia Del Castillo, CPA
Sol Schwartz & Associates
The program had excellent presenters that were extremely knowledgeable.
Lisa R. Volland
Sales and Use Tax Advisory Board
Manager of Domestic Taxes
Joseph Geiger, Esq., CPA
Senior Manager, Local Taxes
Advanced Micro Devices
VP of Indirect Taxes and Tax Reporting
Strafford webinars are backed by our 100% Unconditional Money-Back Guarantee: if you are not satisfied with any of our products, simply let us know and get a full refund. For more information regarding complaints and refunds, please contact us at 1-800-926-7926 ext 10. Complaints regarding this program can be submitted via the course evaluation found in the “Thank you” e-mail at the end of the course.