M&A Transactions: Capitalizing on Intellectual Property Assets
Structuring Deals to Leverage IP Value and Minimize Legal Risk
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This seminar will examine due diligence and valuation strategies for M&A deals involving IP assets. The panel will discuss how to structure M&A transactions involving IP assets—in and out of bankruptcy—to maximize opportunity and minimize legal risk for buyers and sellers.
- Introduction — using IP to facilitate debt financing
- IP due diligence strategies
- Inventory all IP assets
- Review all IP-related documents (registrations, licenses, security interests, etc.)
- Evaluate possible infringement claims by or against company
- Determine revenue enhancing potential of IP
- Evaluate legal status of IP (ownership, restrictions on use, trade secret protections, etc.)
- Structuring the M&A deal
- Key deal terms
- Post-closing deal terms
- Special considerations when M&A transaction occurs in bankruptcy
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- How are IP assets being used to help facilitate M&A deals in the current market?
- What due diligence strategies are key to ensuring a successful transaction?
- How should buyers and sellers approach valuing the IP assets that are driving the deal?
- What special considerations must be made when the M&A deal is carried out through a bankruptcy liquidation or reorganization?
David M. Klein
Paul Hastings Janofsky & Walker
He is an expert on the structuring and negotiation of complex technology and technology-related transactions including... | Read More
He is an expert on the structuring and negotiation of complex technology and technology-related transactions including mergers and acquisitions and other corporate transactional matters. His practice also covers the intellectual property aspects of complex financing transactions including capital markets, securitization and structured finance transactions.Close
Edward G. Black
Ropes & Gray
He is Co-Head of the firm's Intellectual Property Group. He represents companies and investors in the creation and... | Read More
He is Co-Head of the firm's Intellectual Property Group. He represents companies and investors in the creation and management of intellectual assets and the formation and funding of ventures built around intellectual assets. His clients include technology companies, branded product companies, advertising agencies, and media organizations.Close
Jeffery S. Norman
Kirkland & Ellis
His practice focuses on complex technology-related transactions and litigation. He works with private equity firms,... | Read More
His practice focuses on complex technology-related transactions and litigation. He works with private equity firms, Fortune 500 technology companies, and rapidly growing computer hardware, software and pharmaceutical businesses. He leads negotiations and provides strategic intellectual property counseling in a variety of contexts, including mergers and acquisitions.Close
President and CEO
He develops and executes business strategy for ThinkFire, a full service IP advisory, brokerage and licensing services... | Read More
He develops and executes business strategy for ThinkFire, a full service IP advisory, brokerage and licensing services firm that helps global technology companies and other IP owners develop and execute strategies to maximize the return on their investment in IP. He is a frequent speaker on strategy implementation and generating predictable business results from technology investments.Close
Access Anytime, Anywhere
Strafford will process CLE credit for one person on each recording. All formats include course handouts.
CLE On-Demand Audio