Litigation Tactics to Defeat Class Certification: Leveraging Pleadings, Evidence and Settlement Mechanisms
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss several tools and tactics available to practitioners to defeat class actions during the certification stage. Although federal and state rules may differ, most states’ class certification requirements track those found in the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure such that the examples and tips discussed in this webinar will have broad application to class actions around the country.
- Overview of recent class action case law developments
- Discussion of strategies to defeat class certification at the pleadings stage
- Applying case law to create strategies to defeat class certification during a trial
- Analysis of how defendants can leverage arbitration and settlement mechanisms
The panel will review these and other relevant topics:
- During the pleadings stage, what types of motions are most effective in limiting or defeating class certification?
- Once a case proceeds beyond the pleading stage, how can defendants use recent case law to prepare a strategy to avoid class certification?
- How do arbitration and settlement fit into a defendant’s approach?
Robert J. Herrington
Co-Chair, Class Action Litigation Group
Mr. Herrington's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, including class actions in the areas of false... | Read More
Mr. Herrington's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, including class actions in the areas of false advertising, unfair competition, food and beverage, consumer products, insurance, and products liability. He helps sophisticated business clients address complex disputes and competitive challenges to their products, services and business practices.Close
Geoffrey M. Wyatt
Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom
Mr. Wyatt represents clients in mass tort and other aggregate litigation. He defends companies as part of a team that... | Read More
Mr. Wyatt represents clients in mass tort and other aggregate litigation. He defends companies as part of a team that focuses on global litigation strategy and law and motions practice in coordinated proceedings in federal and state courts. Mr. Wyatt has participated in the day-to-day management of multidistrict proceedings encompassing tens of thousands of cases, and has represented clients in several bellwether mass tort personal injury suits.Close