Legal Ethics in Digital Practice of Law: Duties of Competence, Candor, Fairness, Supervision, Communications
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will guide litigators and other counsel through how the digital practice of law affects certain ethical duties and how they can comply with those duties. The program will quickly move beyond technology competence in Model Rule of Professional Responsibility (MR) 1.1, confidentiality (MR 1.6), and data security to address how digital operations impact MR 3.3, 3.4, 4.1, 5.1, 5.2, and 7.1 and the appropriate responses and mitigations.
- Overview of MR 1.1 regarding technology
- Technology and the duty of candor to the court (MR 3.3)
- Technology and the duty of fairness to others (MR 3.4)
- Technology and the duties of supervision (MR 5.1 and 5.3)
- Technology and misrepresentation of legal services (MR 7.1)
The panel will review these and other important issues:
- What is the duty of technology competence?
- What level of understanding is required and how is it attained?
- When do motions to expand or limit discovery violate the duty of candor to the court?
- What is required to supervise eDiscovery staff and vendors under MR 5.2?
Hoover Hull Turner
Ms. Geib is Of Counsel for Hoover Hull Turner LLP. Her deep knowledge of eDiscovery law and practice was gained over... | Read More
Ms. Geib is Of Counsel for Hoover Hull Turner LLP. Her deep knowledge of eDiscovery law and practice was gained over many years of experience as a litigator and eDiscovery consultant. Ms. Geib has published numerous articles on topics in eDiscovery and legal technology for a wide variety of publications. In 2019, she was recognized as eDiscovery Professional of the Year by the Indianapolis Bar Association. Ms. Geib obtained her JD, summa cum laude, from The John Marshall Law School and is a member of the bar of the State of Indiana and the US District Court for the Southern District of Indiana. She serves on the board of the Women in eDiscovery Indianapolis chapter, which she launched in 2017.Close
Hoover Hull Turner
Ms. Harkins is an associate attorney at Hoover Hull Turner LLP in Indianapolis where she assists clients with a wide... | Read More
Ms. Harkins is an associate attorney at Hoover Hull Turner LLP in Indianapolis where she assists clients with a wide range of commercial litigation and employment defense matters. She received her JD, magna cum laude, from Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law. Ms. Harkins is a member of the bar of the State of Indiana and the US District Courts for the Southern and Northern Districts of Indiana.Close