Law Firm Data Breaches and Legal Malpractice Risks
Assessing Vulnerabilities, Defending Professional Liability Claims, Evaluating Insurance Coverage
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will prepare counsel to defend attorneys and law firms after suffering data breaches. The panel will discuss risk assessment and mitigation, outline the steps a law firm must take to protect its interests and clients after the breach, and provide strategies for navigating investigations and defending against professional liability claims.
- Data breach risk assessment overview
- Responding to a breach
- Notification obligations to employees, customers, vendors, government
- Federal and state law regulations and legislation
- Representing attorneys and law firms in investigations and litigation
- Individual and class claims
- Parallel investigations
- Risk management and insurance coverage
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- How should law firms respond to parallel government investigations of data breaches?
- What insurance coverage may be available to cover privacy and data breaches and how can law firms maximize existing insurance coverage?
- What strategies can help counsel defend claims against law firms arising from data breaches?
- How can law firms limit exposure to cyber attacks and other data breaches?
Margaret A. Reetz
Mendes & Mount
Ms. Reetz focuses her practice on advising clients with respect to data security and privacy risks, consumer class... | Read More
Ms. Reetz focuses her practice on advising clients with respect to data security and privacy risks, consumer class action litigation, intellectual property disputes and media/social media issues. She provides counsel with respect to a broad range of risk and loss control issues including, policy drafting, insurance program development, regulatory/compliance advice, dispute resolution,and analysis of claims and loss processing controls on an organizational level. She contributes to professional publications and has presented at continuing education conferences.Close
Hillard M. Sterling
Winget Spadafora & Schwartzberg
Mr. Sterling's practice focuses on technology and cyber disputes and issues, bringing 25 years of experience in the... | Read More
Mr. Sterling's practice focuses on technology and cyber disputes and issues, bringing 25 years of experience in the entire range of technology cases, such as disputes related to systems implementation, software development and licensing, and IT intellectual property. He counsels clients on developing and implementing best practices before, during, and after data breaches and incidents. He also represents clients in defending against national class-action lawsuits based on alleged disclosures of information allegedly protected by federal and state statutes.Close