Latest Guidance on Independent Contractors
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss latest developments related to independent contractor classification under Federal and State Law, especially the more challenging California law. Covered topics also include newly released guidance on virtual marketplace companies (“VMC”) and insight to determine correct classification in an environment of varied government guidance.
- Overview of the DOL’s April 29, 2019 Opinion Letter guidance regarding independent contractor classification.
- Overview of the NLRB’s August 29, 2019 Order ruling that employers do not violate federal law under the National Labor Relations Act (“NLRA”).
- Overview of the ever changing landscape regarding independent contractor classification in the State of California.
- Discussion of unanswered questions in light of this new guidance
- Best practices for employment counsel handling classification issues
The panel will review these and other relevant topics:
- What new guidance have Federal and State agencies provided concerning classifying independent contractors?
- How does this guidance affect employers when making classification decisions?
- What questions remain unanswered, and what are the best practices for employment counsel going forward?
John E. Duke
Constangy Brooks Smith & Prophete
Mr. Duke advises and represents regional, national and international employers across the spectrum of industries in the... | Read More
Mr. Duke advises and represents regional, national and international employers across the spectrum of industries in the full panoply of labor and employment matters. In addition to advising employers on such union-related concerns as organizing campaigns, collective bargaining, and strikes, he also defends employers in representation and unfair labor practice cases before the NLRB, handles labor issues in the federal courts, and has tried dozens of labor arbitrations. Mr. Duke also represents employers before federal and state trial and appellate courts in single plaintiff, complex class/collective action employment litigation, and noncompete and trade secret litigation.Close
Ms. Rosales-Carrillo is a member in our firm’s Labor and Employment group, based in our San Francisco office. She... | Read More
Ms. Rosales-Carrillo is a member in our firm’s Labor and Employment group, based in our San Francisco office. She is a skilled and dedicated management-side labor and employment attorney with experience counseling clients in multiple industries on a wide range of state and federal labor and employment statutes. Ms. Rosales-Carrillo began her career as a trial attorney with the National Labor Relations Board and has extensive experience representing clients before the agency and counseling clients on traditional labor matters. She also works closely with Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) and represents an unaccompanied minor in immigration proceedings.Close