Latest Guidance on Independent Contractors
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss latest developments related to independent contractor classification under Federal and State Law, especially the more challenging California law. Covered topics also include newly released guidance on virtual marketplace companies (“VMC”) and insight to determine correct classification in an environment of varied government guidance.
- Overview of the DOL’s April 29, 2019 Opinion Letter guidance regarding independent contractor classification.
- Overview of the NLRB’s August 29, 2019 Order ruling that employers do not violate federal law under the National Labor Relations Act (“NLRA”).
- Overview of the ever changing landscape regarding independent contractor classification in the State of California.
- Discussion of unanswered questions in light of this new guidance
- Best practices for employment counsel handling classification issues
The panel will review these and other relevant topics:
- What new guidance have Federal and State agencies provided concerning classifying independent contractors?
- How does this guidance affect employers when making classification decisions?
- What questions remain unanswered, and what are the best practices for employment counsel going forward?
Anne Cherry Barnett
Ms. Barnett focuses her practice on employment matters and has represented clients of all sizes, including start-ups... | Read More
Ms. Barnett focuses her practice on employment matters and has represented clients of all sizes, including start-ups and large Fortune 50 companies. She is a business-focused counselor who provides realistic and appropriate recommendations to minimize employer risk using her insight on what potential plaintiffs and their attorneys focus on while recognizing the economic realities of particular policies. Anne prides herself on providing sound and cutting-edge legal strategies that consistently focus on the client’s bottom line as they navigate the complicated labyrinth of California and federal employment regulations.Close
John E. Duke
Constangy Brooks Smith & Prophete
Mr. Duke advises and represents regional, national and international employers across the spectrum of industries in the... | Read More
Mr. Duke advises and represents regional, national and international employers across the spectrum of industries in the full panoply of labor and employment matters. In addition to advising employers on such union-related concerns as organizing campaigns, collective bargaining, and strikes, he also defends employers in representation and unfair labor practice cases before the NLRB, handles labor issues in the federal courts, and has tried dozens of labor arbitrations. Mr. Duke also represents employers before federal and state trial and appellate courts in single plaintiff, complex class/collective action employment litigation, and noncompete and trade secret litigation.Close
Chad Edward McDaniel
Constangy Brooks Smith & Prophete
Mr. McDaniel advises employers with respect to the full range of employment issues, including discrimination claims,... | Read More
Mr. McDaniel advises employers with respect to the full range of employment issues, including discrimination claims, compliance with federal and state employment laws, various specialized employment agreements, and wage and hour disputes. He works intimately with employers and helps to implement preventative strategies that preclude small problems from growing into large problems. Through appropriate training and compliance, Mr. McDaniel aims to ensure his client’s business objectives are surpassed.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
A savings of $200
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$394 + $19.45 S&H