IRA and Qualified Retirement Plan Beneficiary Designations: Techniques for Estate Planners to Avoid Costly Errors
Identifying, Avoiding, and Correcting Designation Problems With Tax and Non-Tax Consequences
Note: CPE credit is not offered on this program
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide estate planning counsel and tax advisers with guidance on resolving beneficiary designation problems that plague IRAs and qualified plans held in trust. The panel will offer various options and approaches to mitigate resulting damage to correct trust structures and avoid common tax pitfalls with beneficiary designations.
- Impact of the Retirement Equity Act of 1984 on plan beneficiary designations
- Deadlines after death to correct designations
- Spousal IRA concerns
- Identification of problems with beneficiary designations
- Best practices for correcting beneficiary designation problems
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- Which federal and state laws impact IRA and qualified retirement plan beneficiary designations?
- What common types of beneficiary problems can arise with incorrect or unintended beneficiary designations?
- What are best practices for avoiding and fixing beneficiary designation problems?
Daniel L. Daniels
Wiggin and Dana
Mr. Daniels focuses his practice representing business owners, private equity and hedge fund founders, family... | Read More
Mr. Daniels focuses his practice representing business owners, private equity and hedge fund founders, family offices, corporate executives and other wealthy individuals and their families. He is a co-author of Trusts and Estates Legal Strategies (2008 Aspatore Books) and has written for various publications, including Trusts and Estates magazine, Estate Planning magazine, Practical Tax Strategies magazine, the National Law Journal and Exempt Organization Review. He also has been quoted on trust and tax-related subjects in the Wall Street Journal, Kiplinger's Personal Finance and Financial Planning.Close
Kristen M. Lynch
Ms. Lynch represents clients in matters related to probates, guardianships, estate planning, asset protection,... | Read More
Ms. Lynch represents clients in matters related to probates, guardianships, estate planning, asset protection, philanthropic planning & charitable giving, and retirement planning. She assists individual clients with self-directed IRAs and provides legal advice to institutional clients that serve as custodians or trustees of IRAs.Close