IRA and Qualified Retirement Plan Beneficiary Designations: Techniques for Estate Planners to Avoid Costly Errors
Identifying, Avoiding and Correcting Designation Problems with Tax and Non-Tax Consequences
Recording of a 90-minute CLE/CPE webinar with Q&A
This CLE/CPE webinar will provide estate planning counsel and tax advisers with guidance on resolving beneficiary designation problems that plague IRAs and qualified plans held in trusts. The panel will offer various options and approaches to mitigate resulting damage to correct trust structures and avoid common tax pitfalls with beneficiary designations.
- Impact of ERISA and REA on plan beneficiary designations
- Deadlines after death to correct designations
- Spousal IRA concerns—community property, divorce settlements, elective share
- Identification of problems with beneficiary designations
- Best practices for correcting beneficiary designation problems
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- Which federal and state laws impact IRA and qualified retirement plan (QRP) beneficiary designations?
- What common types of beneficiary problems can arise with incorrect or unintended beneficiary designations?
- What are best practices for avoiding and fixing beneficiary designation problems?
Stephen J. Bigge, CPA
Keebler & Associates
Mr. Bigge focuses on developing comprehensive financial, estate and income tax analyses and wealth transfer techniques... | Read More
Mr. Bigge focuses on developing comprehensive financial, estate and income tax analyses and wealth transfer techniques including FLP, GRATS, CRTs, ILITs and IDGTs. He specializes in estate, gift and retirement planning, charitable gift planning, as well as trust and estate administration. Mr. Bigge is also experienced in providing tax planning for individuals, trusts and flow-through entities and is a frequent writer for Taxes Magazine.Close
Kristen M. Lynch
Ms. Lynch represents clients in matters related to probates, guardianships, estate planning, asset protection,... | Read More
Ms. Lynch represents clients in matters related to probates, guardianships, estate planning, asset protection, philanthropic planning & charitable giving, and retirement planning. She assists individual clients with self-directed IRAs and provides legal advice to institutional clients that serve as custodians or trustees of IRAs.Close