Insurance SIRs and Deductibles: Impact on Satisfaction of SIRs, Policy Limits, Duty to Defend and Additional Insureds
Advocating Coverage Positions From Perspectives of Insureds and Insurers in CGL, Professional Liability and Property Damage Policies
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to insurance counsel on the primary differences between self-insured retentions (SIRs) and deductibles. The panel will outline how the application of these two distinct risk retention vehicles impacts defense and/or coverage obligations of both insurers and policyholders.
- Distinctions between SIRs/deductibles and impact on limits and defense costs
- Attachment of SIRs/deductibles
- Number of SIRs/deductibles and the potential for stacking
- Application of SIRs as “other insurance”
- Obligation to pay SIRs/deductibles; insureds vs. additional insureds
- Insolvent insured unable to satisfy SIRs
- Satisfaction of SIRs/deductibles through payments by other insurers
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- How do the distinctions between SIRs and deductibles impact limits and defense costs?
- Can a party other than the named insured satisfy the insured’s deductible or SIR obligation?
- How do defense costs impact an insured’s deductible or SIR obligation?
Mr. Friedman provides corporate insurance counseling to companies in Florida, the Caribbean, New York, and other... | Read More
Mr. Friedman provides corporate insurance counseling to companies in Florida, the Caribbean, New York, and other U.S. and foreign jurisdictions. He also advised the State of Florida on insurance policy issues. He writes extensively about insurance coverage for many publications, including National Underwriter, Business Insurance, Risk & Insurance, South Florida Business Journal, and Harvard Law Record.Close
Timothy P. Kilgore
Jackson & Campbell
Mr. Kilgore is a member of the firm’s Insurance Coverage Practice Group. He is experienced in defending clients... | Read More
Mr. Kilgore is a member of the firm’s Insurance Coverage Practice Group. He is experienced in defending clients and prosecuting claims for various actions, including design/construction actions, employment actions, ERISA actions, business tort claims, and disability benefit-related claims.Close
Verne A. Pedro, Esq.
Merlin Law Group
Mr. Pedro's an insurance coverage attorney who represents and counsels clients in complex insurance coverage... | Read More
Mr. Pedro's an insurance coverage attorney who represents and counsels clients in complex insurance coverage analysis, dispute resolution and litigation, across a broad range of products and issues, including allocation issues and contract wording issues. He handles matters spanning industries such financial lines, D&O claims, products liability, and transportation claims.Close