ICANN's New Generic Top Level Domains
Strategies for Domain Name Registration and Brand Protection
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss the new generic top level domains, review the impact of this change for brand owners, and provide best practices for registering and protecting brands in this new Internet space.
- ICANN’s new gTLDs process
- Technical criteria in ICANN’s draft application guidance (DAG)
- Timing considerations
- Expressions of interest program
- Mechanisms to dispute application
- Impact on trademark rights
- Implementation recommendation team (TM, domain name experts)
- Trademark clearinghouse and the Special Trademark Issues review team
- Uniform Rapid Suspension System
- Mitigation of potential malicious conduct
- Registration and enforcement strategies
- Selective application
- Understanding open application period
- Monitoring published list of applicants
- Objections and procedures to register them
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What are the key considerations for companies and counsel when deciding whether to register a new domain name?
- What steps can companies and counsel take to mitigate potentially infringing or even malicious domain registrations?
- What strategies must companies and counsel employ to protect and enforce their marks?
Covington & Burling
She has extensive expertise in domain name matters. She is the Intellectual Property Constituency (IPC) (North... | Read More
She has extensive expertise in domain name matters. She is the Intellectual Property Constituency (IPC) (North America) representative to the ICANN Generic Names Supporting Organization Council, which develops and recommends to the ICANN Board of Directors the substantive policies relating to the domain name system, including such matters as generic top level domains (gTLDs) and Whois.Close
Paul D. McGrady, Jr.
He focuses on the intersection of information technology and intellectual property with an emphasis on domain name... | Read More
He focuses on the intersection of information technology and intellectual property with an emphasis on domain name matters. He is a veteran of nearly 300 proceedings under the UDRP and related ICANN policies and is a member of the Intellectual Property Constituency and was as a member of ICANN’s Special Trademark Issues team charged with reaching consensus on brand protection under the new gTLDs.Close
J. Scott Evans
Head of Global Brand, Domains & Copyright