Healthcare REITs: Navigating Regulatory Challenges and Minimizing Liability Risk
Understanding Organizational, Operational and Tax Considerations When Dealing With REITs
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide healthcare counsel with a review of the organizational requirements and structures for real estate investment trusts (REITs) and the limitations and challenges of REITs in the healthcare industry. The panel will discuss regulatory, corporate, business and tax issues involved with healthcare REITs and offer best practices to minimize liability risks.
- Role of REITs in healthcare
- Operations requirements
- Alternate acquisition structures for healthcare REITs
- Tax issues with RIDEA-structured acquisitions
- Determining which legal entities should hold licenses, provider agreements, and certificates of need
- Obtaining regulatory authorizations for the REIT transaction
- Overcoming regulatory challenges and minimizing liability risks
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What role do REITs play in the healthcare industry and how has RIDEA affected the heathcare REIT sector?
- Under RIDEA, what risks do healthcare REITs now face? What steps can be taken to mitigate those risks?
- What are the key organizational, operating and tax REIT rules that may impact the structure or terms of a transaction with a REIT entity?
- What are the limitations and challenges of REITS for healthcare businesses?
- What are best practices for healthcare businesses contemplating or engaging in transactions with REITs?
Steven A. Kaye
Arnall Golden Gregory
Mr. Kaye focuses his practice on real estate activities, such as the acquisition, sale, leasing and financing of... | Read More
Mr. Kaye focuses his practice on real estate activities, such as the acquisition, sale, leasing and financing of projects. His clients include owners, developers and users of office buildings, medical offices and other healthcare facilities, data centers, shopping centers and industrial properties. He has significant experience representing real estate investment trusts (REITs), non-traded REITs and private equity funds in connection with their portfolio and recapitalization transactions. He is the co-leader of the firm’s Healthcare Real Estate Team.Close
Arnall Golden Gregory
Ms. Rubinger focuses her practice on the representation of healthcare. She counsels clients on issues related to... | Read More
Ms. Rubinger focuses her practice on the representation of healthcare. She counsels clients on issues related to operations, regulatory compliance, certificates of need, managed care, reimbursement, change of ownership and employment. She also represents investors and lenders and has extensive experience in managing the regulatory aspects of healthcare transactions, ranging from single-facility purchases and sales to some of the largest multi-state, multiple service-line transactions.Close