Healthcare Industry Wage and Hour Issues Under Increased DOL Scrutiny: What Counsel Need to Know
Costly Penalties; Unique Industry Considerations; Best Practices for Compliance
Recording of a 90-minute CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide an overview of the Fair Labor Standards Act's (FLSA) wage and hour requirements as they pertain to the healthcare industry given the U.S. Department of Labor's (DOL) recent initiative targeting the industry, resulting in thousands of investigations and millions of dollars in damages/penalties against healthcare employers. The panel will describe best practices for FLSA compliance taking into account the industry's unique employment needs and will advise on how to prepare for and manage a DOL audit.
- DOL initiative targeting healthcare industry
- Investigation and damages statistics
- Most common areas of wage and hour noncompliance
- Employment practices that leave healthcare employers vulnerable to violations
- Best practices for ensuring FLSA compliance in conjunction with these unique needs
- State law considerations
- Preparing for and managing a DOL audit
The panel will review these and other important considerations:
- What industry practices make wage and hour compliance more difficult for healthcare employers?
- What are unique considerations for healthcare counsel and their clients when developing policies and procedures that comply with the FLSA?
- What are best practices for FLSA compliance?
- How can healthcare counsel help their clients prepare for and manage a DOL audit?
Fisher & Phillips
Mr. Dalin represents employers in a full range of employment law matters, with a particular emphasis on wage and hour... | Read More
Mr. Dalin represents employers in a full range of employment law matters, with a particular emphasis on wage and hour issues and government audits and investigations. He works with businesses to review their compensation practices and develop proactive solutions to reduce their risks of exposure to costly wage and hour investigations and lawsuits. Mr. Dalin also defends businesses in wage and hour investigations and litigation, including class-action lawsuits, single-plaintiff lawsuits, and government enforcement cases before federal and state courts and administrative agencies. Prior to joining the firm he spent more than 12 years working with the U.S. DOL in the Office of the Regional Solicitor in both Philadelphia and New York.Close
Megan L. Janes
Fisher & Phillips
Ms. Janes represents employers of all sizes across several industries, including healthcare, independent and private... | Read More
Ms. Janes represents employers of all sizes across several industries, including healthcare, independent and private education, automotive dealerships, construction, hospitality, and more. Her day-to-day work often includes litigation involving allegations of discrimination, denial of leave, wage and hour matters, or restrictive covenants, both at the administrative level and in court. Ms. Janes also assists employers with HR matters, including counseling on ways to reduce the risk of litigation or conducting informative trainings on how to comply with employment laws.Close