Green Leases: Evolving Legal Issues for Commercial Landlords and Tenants
Negotiating and Crafting Cost-Effective and Environmentally Friendly Lease Terms
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will prepare real estate counsel to craft commercial leases with provisions focused on energy and environmental goals. The panel will examine green provisions commonly negotiated by landlords and tenants and outline potential legal risks for landlords and tenants entering into green leases.
- Current trends in green leasing
- Elements of an effective green leasing program
- Establishment of sustainability goals
- Communication of goals to team, including landlord
- Site selection guidelines
- Request for proposal
- Letter of intent
- Key provisions in green leases
- Construction and design
- Sustainability and energy efficiency standards
- Allocation of operating expenses and operating expense pass-throughs
- Operation and maintenance obligations
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- How can commercial landlords craft leases that responsibly incorporate green building and maintenance concepts while minimizing costs, expense and legal risks?
- What are the key environmental responsibility provisions that should be considered when developing real estate leasing agreements?
- What are some best practices for commercial landlords and tenants for resolving disputes arising from green leasing arrangements?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Louise C. Adamson, LEED-AP, ID&C
She has substantial experience with real estate acquisition and disposition, leasing, financing, development and... | Read More
She has substantial experience with real estate acquisition and disposition, leasing, financing, development and construction. She developed a first-of-its-kind green leasing program which integrates sustainable building practices and also tracks the LEED rating system through each stage of the lease negotiation process so that the lease itself facilitates LEED certification for the tenant space.Close
Jon F. Leyens, Jr.
Baker Donelson Bearman Caldwell & Berkowitz
He focuses his practice on commercial real estate leasing and development, and business financing. He has represented... | Read More
He focuses his practice on commercial real estate leasing and development, and business financing. He has represented companies and individuals, including both lenders and borrowers, in connection with a wide spectrum of commercial transactions, including leasehold development and financing, securitized transactions, asset-based financing, bond loans, and public-private cooperative endeavors.Close
Steven A. Teitelbaum
Senior Real Estate Advisor
Office of Station Area Planning & Asset Management, Department of Planning & Joint Development, Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
He negotiates and coordinates private sector real estate development on Washington Metropolitan Area Transit... | Read More
He negotiates and coordinates private sector real estate development on Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority-owned land, including public/private partnerships. He is the author of the 2008 and 2011 publications usually referred to as the BOMA Green Lease Guides, among the leading publications in the field, and has lectured widely on green leasing.Close