Goodwill in Corporate Asset Sales: Tax Planning, Personal vs. Corporate Goodwill, Allocation and Valuation Rules
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE/CPE webinar with Q&A
This CLE/CPE course will discuss an important and revitalized area of tax law--goodwill in corporate asset sales. Our panelists will provide attendees with the techniques necessary for the appropriate and beneficial use of goodwill to provide clients with tax planning opportunities.
- Tax benefits of personal goodwill
- Types of goodwill
- Transfers of goodwill
- Allocations of consideration to goodwill
- Valuation considerations
- Negotiation best practices
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- How may the allocation of consideration to personal goodwill benefit the taxpayer in an asset sale of a business?
- What are best practices to implement to ensure the IRS respects the allocation to personal goodwill?
- How differentiate between personal and business goodwill?
- What are best practices when considering the payment of consideration for personal goodwill in the negotiation and documentation phases of the transaction?
Steven D. Bortnick
Troutman Pepper Hamilton Sanders
Mr. Bortnick is a partner in the firm's tax practice group and focuses his practice on domestic and... | Read More
Mr. Bortnick is a partner in the firm's tax practice group and focuses his practice on domestic and international tax and private equity matters. He handles a broad range of cross-disciplinary transactions, including asset, stock, cross-border and domestic acquisitions, tax-free spinoffs, recapitalizations and reorganizations.Close
Howard S. Goldberg
Mr. Goldberg focuses on tax planning for domestic and international transactions. His practice includes advising on... | Read More
Mr. Goldberg focuses on tax planning for domestic and international transactions. His practice includes advising on mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, dispositions, private equity transactions, capital markets transactions and restructurings in and out of bankruptcy. He is a frequent speaker on a variety of transactional tax matters.Close