Global Patent Litigation: Trends, Tools, and Strategies to Enforce Your Patent Rights Globally
Data Metrics, Win Rates, and Other Key Considerations for Parties Pursuing a Global Approach
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will guide patent counsel on the enforcement of patent rights globally. The panel will examine global patent litigation to protect IP rights in the worldwide marketplace. The panel will discuss current global litigation trends and the tools necessary when determining if, when, and where to bring infringement suits in various global jurisdictions. The panel will also guide patent attorneys on developing an international strategy.
- Introduction: The Global Litigation Landscape
- What are the top countries for litigating patent disputes?
- What trends can be observed in global patent litigation?
- Case study examples
- Comparison of Top Jurisdictions for Litigating Patents
- Legal frameworks and courts of first instance for patent disputes
- Objective litigation metrics including win rates, time to trial, and costs
- Available remedies, including damages and injunctions
- Procedural and substantive differences between jurisdictions
- Tools and Planning Steps
- Four tools for effective planning
- Addressing key questions for each jurisdiction
- Forum selection and timelines
- Early case valuation methodology
- Strategies to Develop a Winning Global Patent Litigation Plan
- Inter and intra country strategie
- Special considerations and planning for individual jurisdictions
- Leveraging procedural and substantive differences between jurisdictions
- Managing global patent litigation
The panel will review these and other high profile issues:
- What factors should counsel consider when determining whether a patent has been infringed and whether, where and when to file suit?
- What tools can counsel use when determining if and where to enforce patent rights?
- What strategies can counsel use for effective enforcement of patent rights?
Mr. Crichton has a decade and a half of experience as an intellectual property litigator and strategic adviser. He... | Read More
Mr. Crichton has a decade and a half of experience as an intellectual property litigator and strategic adviser. He regularly acts for clients involved in disputes concerning complex trade secrets and software copyright enforcement, and is experienced with respect to Canada/U.S. cross-border intellectual property litigation and related matters. He regularly represents and advises clients with respect to licensing of intellectual property, mediation proceedings and throughout settlement negotiations. He also provides strategic counselling and opinions regarding patent infringement, patent validity and related issues. In addition, as a registered patent agent for over a decade, his practice includes patent drafting, prosecution and portfolio management.Close
C. Gregory Gramenopoulos
Finnegan Henderson Farabow Garrett & Dunner
Mr. Gramenopoulos is a partner in Finnegan, Henderson's Washington, DC office. He has more than two decades of... | Read More
Mr. Gramenopoulos is a partner in Finnegan, Henderson's Washington, DC office. He has more than two decades of experience assisting domestic and international clients in the electrical and computer technology fields. Mr. Gramenopoulos is an accomplished patent litigator and strategic IP advisor, handling complex and high-stakes patent matters both in and outside of the courtroom. Recognized by The Legal500 U.S. and IAM Patent 1000, he is the lead author of the acclaimed international treatise, Global Patent Litigation: How and Where to Win, published by Bloomberg Law.Close
Avvocati Associati Franzosi Dal Negro Setti
Mr. Jandoli has a formidable reputation in both courtrooms and backrooms. He is specialized in different areas of... | Read More
Mr. Jandoli has a formidable reputation in both courtrooms and backrooms. He is specialized in different areas of consulting activity (giving assistance to Italian companies abroad-thanks to a good and relevant newtwork of colleagues worldwide created by working in team- and to foreign companies in Italy) and of litigation. These areas include patents, design, trademarks, know – how, geographical indication, copyright, denomination of origin, food; licensing, domain name protection, online supply contracts, online privacy protection, online/Facebook copyright infringement, e-commerce; unfair competition and contracts concerning technology protection; and advertising.Close
Roland Küppers, LL.M.
Mr. Küppers represents national and international clients in patent infringement matters and co-ordinates... | Read More
Mr. Küppers represents national and international clients in patent infringement matters and co-ordinates multi-jurisdictional litigation. In co-operation with patent attorneys and in-house patent departments he further acts on patent nullity suits, oppositions and utility model cancellation matters. He gained technical experience from his work for clients in a wide range of industrial sectors, including telecommunications, electronics and optoelectronics, semiconductors, medical devices, chemicals, automotive and mechanical engineering. He also advises on unfair competition matters having technical impact.Close
Mr. Thornham is a partner in the IP/IT group, specialising in patents and technical disputes. He advises clients on... | Read More
Mr. Thornham is a partner in the IP/IT group, specialising in patents and technical disputes. He advises clients on matters across the full range of technologies and sectors (including life sciences, engineering, IT/telecoms, and FRAND licence disputes). He has acted in well over twenty English patent trials and appeals. He also advises and acts in arbitrations. He helps clients with strategy and coordinated multi-jurisdictional disputes.Close