Forming Physician Multispecialty Group Practices: Key Legal Considerations
Evaluating Compensation Models, Negotiating Business Contracts, and Complying With Federal and State Laws
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide healthcare provider counsel with a review of critical legal issues involved in forming physician multispecialty group practices, including applicable laws and regulations and business considerations. The panel will offer guidance on structuring the arrangements and negotiating key contracts.
- Group formation
- Selecting the appropriate legal entity
- Tax issues
- Benefits issues
- Adding physicians through mergers and acquisitions
- Determining the purchase price
- Deal terms
- Physician employment contract issues
- Promoting associates to partners
- Stark law and compensation models: compensation for professional services
- Compensation for ancillary services
- Use of care centers and practice divisions
- Hospital, private equity or other non-physician participation
- Corporate practice of medicine and fee splitting
- Management arrangements
The panel will review these and other relevant questions:
- What are the principal legal and business concerns for physicians considering forming a multispecialty group practice?
- What considerations should healthcare counsel weigh when selecting the appropriate legal entity for the business?
- What compensation models have been most attractive or successful for group practices negotiating employment with physicians?
- What particular concerns arise when there is a hospital, private equity or other non-physician participation in the group structure?
Derek E. Empie
Vice President – Legal Affairs & Systemwide Strategic Transactions
Indiana University Health
Mr. Empie provides a variety of legal services concerning contracts, acquisitions, and labor and employment issues.| Read More
Mr. Empie provides a variety of legal services concerning contracts, acquisitions, and labor and employment issues.Close
Roger D. Strode
Foley & Lardner
Mr. Strode's practice focuses on health care business transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, corporate... | Read More
Mr. Strode's practice focuses on health care business transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, corporate restructurings and joint ventures, general corporate matters and health care regulation. His experience includes the representation of institutional health care providers, large physician groups, specialty providers (ASC development organizations), health care private equity firms and industry consultants. He participated as lead counsel in numerous health care and corporate transactions, including the purchase and sale, or transfer of sponsorship of hospitals, health systems, physician practices and health maintenance organizations; the formation of specialty hospitals; and the formation of ancillary services joint ventures.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
A savings of $200
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$394 + $19.45 S&H