Form 1040NR Non-Resident Alien Filing Challenges and Effective Approaches
Determining Taxpayer Classifications and Elections, Computing Income and Deductions, and Understanding Spouse/Dependent Treatment
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This webinar will provide tax advisors and pros with a deeper understanding of issues in preparing Form 1040NR, including taxpayer classification, determining who should file, how to report income and claim refunds, identifying available deductions and limitations, treatment of spouse and dependents, and common mistakes to avoid.
- Defining a foreign investor
- Source-of-income rules
- Who files Form 1040NR
- Non-resident alien standard
- Dual-resident taxpayers
- Dual-status taxpayers
- Issues in completing Form 1040NR
The panel will tackle issues such as:
- What are the key complexities and best practices for tax advisors in determining classification and status of a taxpayer as a U.S. resident or non-resident alien?
- What income items and deductions should always be considered when preparing Form 1040NR?
- What is the difference between income effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business (ECI) and fixed, determinable, annual or periodic income (FDAP), and how is this income reported and taxed on the Form 1040NR?
- What special elections apply to a U.S. non-resident alien?
- What common mistakes can tax professionals anticipate and avoid when preparing Form 1040NR?
Marc J. Gedeon
Founder & President
Gedeon Law and CPA
Mr. Gedeon is a lawyer and certified public accountant who has nearly 15 years of combined experience advising clients... | Read More
Mr. Gedeon is a lawyer and certified public accountant who has nearly 15 years of combined experience advising clients on tax, legal, and business related matters. He provides tax and accounting services to individuals, corporations, LLCs, partnerships and S Corporations. In his legal practice, Mr. Gedeon represents clients in matters related to business law, estate planning, employment law and real estate transactions.Close
Robert J. Misey, Jr.
Reinhart Boerner Van Deuren
Mr. Misey is attached to the firm's Tax and Business Law Practices, and chairs its International Practice. He... | Read More
Mr. Misey is attached to the firm's Tax and Business Law Practices, and chairs its International Practice. He works primarily on international taxation and tax controversies for clients in industries ranging from manufacturing to entertainment. He previously spent nine years with the IRS.Close
Marc J. Strohl
Protax Consulting Services
Mr. Strohl is a multi-state licensed Certified Public Accountant. He has extensive expertise stemming from previous... | Read More
Mr. Strohl is a multi-state licensed Certified Public Accountant. He has extensive expertise stemming from previous experience at Deloitte & Touche LLP, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, and Ernst & Young where he managed the individual expatriate and foreign national tax programs for public multi-national companies, not-for-profit organizations and professional firms. He is a frequent authoritative writer and speaker on issues and developments related to US Expat or Expatriate and Foreign National-Nonresident and/ or Resident Alien tax matters.Close