Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in Mexico
Implementing FCPA Compliance Programs and Mitigating Risk
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will advise counsel to companies doing business in Mexico on best practices to develop and implement an effective FCPA compliance program. The panel will discuss recent FCPA enforcement actions focused on Mexico operations and the unique FCPA challenges facing American companies conducting business in Mexico.
- What is happening in enforcement/lessons learned from recent enforcement
Risk factors of doing business in Mexico
- Business culture/practices
- Broad definition of foreign official
- Cooperation between U.S. companies and Mexico when conducting due diligence
- Exposure to third party you may not control
- Regional anti-bribery laws
- Reach of the FCPA
Best practices for mitigating risk (how to compete effectively while complying with the FCPA)
- Compliance program—anti-bribery and accounting provisions
- Internal controls
- Education/training adapted to local conditions
- Due diligence—all third parties
- Steps if misconduct is suspected
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What risk factors make companies conducting business in Mexico more vulnerable to possible FCPA violations?
- What types of conduct have triggered SEC and DOJ investigations into potential FCPA violations?
- What lessons can be learned from the Wal-Mart crisis and recent SEC and DOJ enforcement efforts aimed at companies doing business in Mexico?
- What are the best practices to develop and implement effective anti-corruption compliance programs and due diligence efforts?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
James G. Tillen
Miller & Chevalier
Mr. Tillen has significant experience with every facet of an FCPA enforcement matter, including developing work... | Read More
Mr. Tillen has significant experience with every facet of an FCPA enforcement matter, including developing work plans for internal investigations, conducting internal investigations, developing remediation strategies, drafting voluntary disclosures, negotiating resolutions, developing strategies for collateral issues, selecting independent monitors, and interfacing with monitors.Close
Matthew J. Feeley
Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney
Mr. Feeley focuses his practice on international commercial litigation with particular emphasis in FCPA and complex... | Read More
Mr. Feeley focuses his practice on international commercial litigation with particular emphasis in FCPA and complex civil matters. He advises on conducting internal investigations, designing and implementing compliance programs, and asserting, responding to and defending against federal, state and international civil and criminal proceedings, investigations, prosecutions and trials.Close
Miller & Chevalier
Mr. Ellis has extensive experience in all areas of international anti-corruption compliance and enforcement. With a... | Read More
Mr. Ellis has extensive experience in all areas of international anti-corruption compliance and enforcement. With a focus on the Americas, he advises companies and individuals on all areas of FCPA enforcement and compliance. He has performed complex, independent, and on-site internal investigations in over 20 countries throughout the Americas, Asia, Europe, and Africa.Close