Financing Municipal Renewable Energy Projects: Negotiating Power Purchase Agreements for Municipalities
Assessing Benefits and Risks of PPAs, Anticipating Regulatory Challenges, Structuring Key Provisions
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide guidance for counsel to municipalities on renewable energy projects, the risks and benefits of municipal power purchase agreements (PPAs), and PPA structures. The panel will assist municipal counsel in identifying and understanding critical terms and effectively negotiating and structuring PPAs.
- Municipal PPAs
- Regulatory challenges with municipal PPAs
- Activities preceding a PPA
- Energy audi
- Design and proper sizing and siting
- Construction scheduling and access
- Key provisions of a PPA
- Power purchase guarantees
- Liquidated damages
- Facility ownership
- Environmental credits
- Tax ownership
- Access and maintenance
- PPAs for different renewables
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- How can municipal PPAs be leveraged for financing renewable energy projects?
- What are the critical provisions of PPAs for municipal purchasers?
- What are the features of different types of renewable energy that must be considered when negotiating the PPA?
- What approaches can municipal counsel use to allocate risks and benefits in the long-term contract?
Paul R. Michaud
Mr. Michaud Chairs the firm’s Renewable Energy Practice Group. He has significant expertise with the... | Read More
Mr. Michaud Chairs the firm’s Renewable Energy Practice Group. He has significant expertise with the transactional, regulatory and legislative aspects of renewable energy, community solar and microgrid project development. He represents a diverse client base of regional and national renewable energy companies, municipalities, lenders, and commercial and industrial power users whose projects include solar PV systems, wind farms, biofuel systems, small hydro systems, fuel cells and combined heat and power systems, geothermal systems, and microgrids.Close
David A. Soldani
Atkinson Andelson Loya Ruud & Romo
Mr. Soldani advises public agencies, including school districts, in the areas of employment, public works and... | Read More
Mr. Soldani advises public agencies, including school districts, in the areas of employment, public works and construction, environmental law, elections law and real property transactions. He also represents private individuals and companies in litigation matters in the areas of labor and employment, construction claims and business disputes. He regularly gives presentations to local and statewide organizations on a number of topics, including construction law and solar power purchase transactions.Close