Financing Cannabis-Related Real Estate: Sale-Leaseback Transactions, Leases, Expansion Financing, Zoning and Licensing Issues
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will analyze legal and practical issues borrowers and lenders need to consider when documenting and funding a loan transaction secured by cannabis-related real estate. The panel will also discuss loan structures used to navigate the current banking, insurance, tax, and bankruptcy legal landscape.
- Regulatory challenges for lending to cannabis businesses
- Regulatory preapproval or disclosure
- Background checks
- Products and licenses as collateral
- Cannabis industry legal challenges
- IRC Section 280E
- Insurance (property and title)
- Real estate location and zoning challenges
- Financing structures
- Real estate expansion loan
The panel will review these and other important issues:
- How does the current federal categorization of cannabis as a "controlled substance" impact the financeability of property with cannabis use?
- How should mortgage loan documents address the unique licensing issues associated with cannabis businesses?
- What zoning and use compliance issues must be considered when financing cannabis real estate?
- What are the special bankruptcy and insurance concerns with cannabis businesses?
Mr. Alovisetti is a partner at Vicente Sederberg and chair of the firm's Corporate Department. He is recognized by... | Read More
Mr. Alovisetti is a partner at Vicente Sederberg and chair of the firm's Corporate Department. He is recognized by Chambers and Partners as one of the top cannabis lawyers in the United States. Mr. Alovisetti focuses his practice on advising investors, companies, and other law firms on the nuances of executing corporate transactions involving licensed and ancillary cannabis companies. Prior to joining VS, he worked as an associate in the New York offices of Latham & Watkins and Goodwin, where he represented public companies and private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies in a range of corporate transactions.Close
Ms. Brimah provides focused legal advocacy for business owners, developers and investors with their commercial real... | Read More
Ms. Brimah provides focused legal advocacy for business owners, developers and investors with their commercial real estate interests. With 15 years of experience in the Colorado real estate market, she provides no-nonsense legal counsel for today’s commercial real estate matters.Close