Financial Service Providers and the CCPA: Analyzing the GLBA Exemption, Avoiding Damages for Noncompliance
A live 90-minute premium CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will analyze the issues presented by the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) for banks and other financial services providers. The panel will discuss the complexities of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) exemption, the types of financial services transactions and data which remain subject to CCPA rules, and potential liability for noncompliance.
- Overview of CCPA
- Transaction thresholds extending the reach of CCPA to out-of-state financial services providers
- GLBA--types of financial services entities covered
- CCPA exemption for data already regulated under GLBA
- Data still covered under CCPA
- Potential damages and penalties for noncompliance
- Best practices for compliance
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the criteria which subject out-of-state businesses to CCPA, and why might banks and Fintech companies be likely to meet those criteria?
- What is the CCPA exemption for data covered by GLBA?
- What types of activities could fall outside the purview of GLBA?
- What are the potential damages for noncompliance with CCPA, and what kinds of protocols should financial services businesses put in place to avoid them?
Marci V. Kawski
Ms. Kawski represents installment lenders, motor vehicle finance companies, short-term lenders, online lenders, credit... | Read More
Ms. Kawski represents installment lenders, motor vehicle finance companies, short-term lenders, online lenders, credit unions, and banks when faced with regulatory issues. She provides practical advice to clients to ensure they comply with the myriad laws governing their businesses.Close
Mr. Moon advises clients with regard to compliance with state lending and servicing statutes and regulations. He has... | Read More
Mr. Moon advises clients with regard to compliance with state lending and servicing statutes and regulations. He has experience preparing 50 state surveys summarizing licensing requirements, advertising restrictions, disclosure obligations, permissible fees and charges, record retention requirements, telemarketing, usury limits, and foreclosure considerations. Mr. Moon assists clients with complying with the seller/servicer requirements set forth by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and the requirements set by insurers such as the Federal Housing Administration and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.Close
David M. Stauss
Mr. Stauss focuses on complex business and commercial litigation in state and federal courts involving data privacy and... | Read More
Mr. Stauss focuses on complex business and commercial litigation in state and federal courts involving data privacy and security, product liability and business disputes. He has tried numerous cases in state and federal courts across the country securing favorable jury verdicts for clients.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
A savings of $250
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$444 + $19.45 S&H