Final IRC 162(f) and 6050X Regulations: Tax Treatment of Settlements and Judgments, Requirements, Fines, Penalties
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE/CPE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE/CPE course will provide tax professionals guidance on key provisions of recently issued final IRC 162(f) and 6050X regulations. The panel will discuss applying the final regulations to fines, penalties, and other amounts, along with the requirements and exceptions. The panel will also discuss the impact of the new regulations and guidance on settlement agreements and payments.
- Overview of the tax treatment of settlements and judgment
- Recent case rulings
- IRS Final 162(f) and 6050X regulations
- Key considerations in negotiating settlement agreements
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the applicable rules regarding the tax treatment of settlements and judgments?
- What is the impact of the recent final IRC 162(f) and 6050X regulations?
- What are the requirements and exceptions under the new regulations?
- What are the reporting and tax compliance challenges?
- What are the key considerations for negotiating and drafting settlement agreements?
Richard (Jake) Gagnon
Shearman & Sterling
Mr. Gagnon represents U.S. and international clients in audits and investigations before the Internal Revenue Service... | Read More
Mr. Gagnon represents U.S. and international clients in audits and investigations before the Internal Revenue Service and the Department of Justice and in federal trial and appellate courts.Close
Shearman & Sterling
Mr. Lowther provides tax advice to clients on mergers and acquisitions, oil and gas transactions, and corporate and... | Read More
Mr. Lowther provides tax advice to clients on mergers and acquisitions, oil and gas transactions, and corporate and general business matters, including business formation, reorganization, and partnership and limited liability company structuring. He also has extensive experience in the structuring, organization, and capitalization of private equity funds, and frequently advises management teams from both a transactional and tax perspective. Mr. Lowther's experience includes a focus on the taxation of natural resources, partnerships, international joint ventures, and other transactions common in the petroleum industry.Close