Federal Courts Jurisdiction and Venue Clarification Act: One Year Later
Lessons Learned from Applying the New Jurisdiction and General Removal Procedures
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will review the pertinent provisions of the Federal Courts Jurisdiction and Venue Clarification Act of 2012, and will analyze its first year of implementation and what may be encountered in the future. The panel will address best practices and lessons for litigators one year after the Act was passed.
- Overview of the Federal Courts Jurisdiction and Venue Clarification Act
- 30-day removal period
- Amount in controversy for purposes of removal
- Residency for venue purposes
- Transfer of venue
- Supplemental jurisdiction involving other claims
- Best practices for adapting litigation strategies
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- How does the Act deal with earlier-served defendants regarding removal by another defendant?
- What are the changes to the way the amount in controversy is ascertained, alleged and proved?
- What is the standard for residency?
- How does the Act affect issues of supplemental jurisdiction?
- What are the lessons learned and unresolved issues after one year?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Jonathan Evan Goldberg
He focuses on all aspects of complex commercial litigation, employment law and litigation, and ERISA litigation. He is... | Read More
He focuses on all aspects of complex commercial litigation, employment law and litigation, and ERISA litigation. He is an experienced trial lawyer and frequent public speaker, and has successfully represented numerous clients in federal and state courts throughout the United States in matters involving claims of retaliation, discrimination, wrongful termination, fraud, and breach of contract.Close
King & Spalding
Mr. Goheen has served as lead or co-counsel in over 50 class actions in all areas of the law, including antitrust,... | Read More
Mr. Goheen has served as lead or co-counsel in over 50 class actions in all areas of the law, including antitrust, securities fraud, consumer protection, privacy/data breach, product liability, and general commercial disputes in state and federal courts representing such clients as the Coca-Cola Co., SunTrust Banks, Countrywide, Equifax, General Motors Corp., Humana and Bank of America.Close
Mr. Paffrath represents clients in a variety of disputes involving product liability, class action defense, agent... | Read More
Mr. Paffrath represents clients in a variety of disputes involving product liability, class action defense, agent fiduciary duties, the Unfair Competition Law, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, the Truth in Lending Act, the National Bank Act, the imputation of a corporate officer’s or director’s knowledge to the corporation, and law firm disqualification for conflicts of interest.Close