FCPA in India 2020: Compliance Strategies for India's Unique Cultural and Governmental Intricacies
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide guidance to counsel for companies doing business in India to develop and implement a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) compliance program. The panel will review recent FCPA enforcement focused on India operations and discuss the unique FCPA challenges for conducting business there.
- Risk factors for doing business in India
- Indian business culture/practices
- Defining a bribe
- Exposure to a third party you may not control
- Reach of the FCPA in India
- Working with the Indian government
- Preventative steps to mitigate risk in transactions
- Internal controls
- Education/training adapted to local conditions
- Due diligence: all third parties
- Investigations and enforcement
- Compliance programs: anti-bribery and accounting provisions
- Steps if misconduct is suspected
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the risk factors that make companies conducting business in India vulnerable to possible FCPA violations?
- What are the lessons of recent SEC and DOJ enforcement efforts impacting companies doing business in or with India?
- What are the best practices for companies to utilize in developing anti-corruption compliance programs and due diligence efforts?
Jeffrey (Jeff) Everson, CPA
Mr. Everson is a CPA, has been with the firm for 15 years, and serves as a Senior Manager.| Read More
Mr. Everson is a CPA, has been with the firm for 15 years, and serves as a Senior Manager.Close
Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr
Mr. Holtmeier co-leads the firm's FCPA and Anti-Corruption Group and is a member of the Dodd-Frank Whistleblower... | Read More
Mr. Holtmeier co-leads the firm's FCPA and Anti-Corruption Group and is a member of the Dodd-Frank Whistleblower Working Group. He represents institutions and individuals in complex government and internal investigations and matters of corporate governance and compliance with particular expertise in matters involving the FCPA. He regularly counsels clients facing difficult FCPA issues in a variety of business contexts, and he has assisted clients in numerous industries in developing and implementing FCPA compliance programs. He devotes substantial attention to advising clients on FCPA problems that arise in the context of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other corporate transactions.Close
Elizabeth D. Keating
VP, Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer
Gemological Institute of America
Ms. Keating is a successful global ethics and compliance counsel with unique experience building and leading... | Read More
Ms. Keating is a successful global ethics and compliance counsel with unique experience building and leading world-class compliance and investigations programs including expertise in creating and implementing compliance policies and procedures, risk assessments, internal investigations, FCPA forensic audits, training, and communications, third party due diligence, remedial measures, monitoring, and auditing. She is skilled in negotiating successful legal resolutions with the US Government including three year DPA with Monitor.Close