FCPA Gifts, Entertainment and Hospitality: Surviving DOJ and SEC Enforcement
Understanding the Risks, Avoiding Common Pitfalls, and Strengthening Compliance Programs to Meet FCPA Requirements
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide guidance for counsel to companies doing business internationally on how the DOJ and SEC currently view gifts, entertainment and hospitality under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). The panel will review recent FCPA enforcement trends in this arena and offer best practices for strengthening compliance programs to avoid such violations and sanctions.
- Provisions of the FCPA addressing gifts and hospitality
- Advisory opinions and recent cases
- PTC Inc.
- Best practices for compliance
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- Does the FCPA allow any leeway for companies regarding hospitality—and when is it permissible under the law?
- When do gifts to foreign officials cross the line from respecting local customs and culture to being viewed as bribery?
- What strategies can counsel offer companies to ensure their staffs are fully compliant with the FCPA with regard to gift giving, travel, entertainment and hospitality?
- What guidance is offered in the FCPA Resource Guide as well as recent enforcement actions, advisory opinions, and settlements for gift and hospitality conduct?
Margaret M. Cassidy
Ms. Cassidy's practice focuses on corporate compliance, internal investigations and white collar criminal defense.... | Read More
Ms. Cassidy's practice focuses on corporate compliance, internal investigations and white collar criminal defense. She has provided expertise on matters related to anti-corruption, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, ethics laws, the False Claims Act, political activity, government procurement, and conflicts of interest. As a seasoned criminal litigator, Ms. Cassidy has also tried over 100 jury and non-jury criminal cases to verdict.Close
John E. Davis
Member and FCPA/International Anti-Corruption Practice Lead
Miller & Chevalier
Mr. Davis focuses his practice on international regulatory compliance and enforcement issues. He advises on corruption... | Read More
Mr. Davis focuses his practice on international regulatory compliance and enforcement issues. He advises on corruption issues around the world, including compliance with the FCPA and related laws and international treaties, and FCPA-related internal investigations and disclosures to the SEC and DOJ. Mr. Davis works with clients to develop and implement compliance programs, conduct due diligence and audit compliance processes.Close