FCPA Compliance Audits: Lessons From Recent Investigations
Monitoring and Improving the Effectiveness of FCPA Compliance Programs
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to counsel and internal audit departments for U.S. companies of all sizes doing business outside the U.S. for planning and executing internal audits that test effective compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) during a period of increasingly intense enforcement by the DOJ and SEC.
- Importance of FCPA audits and risk assessments
- Core elements of an anti-corruption compliance program
- General parameters of an anti-corruption audit
- Risks associated with failure to conduct audit/risk assessment
- Forensic examination of anti-corruption compliance
- Establishing methodology
- Common corruption and fraud schemes
- Recommendations for improving financial accounting controls and procedures
- Challenges and risks of anti-corruption compliance reviews
- Identifying challenges
- Strategies for overcoming challenges
Our panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the essential components of an effective FCPA audit?
- What strategies are available to overcome troublesome audit challenges?
- What can be learned from recent DOJ/SEC investigations and settlements?
- What steps can counsel take to guide clients and companies in executing cost-efficient audits?
Sulaksh Shah, CPA, CFE, CFF
Mr. Shah has approximately 16 years of public accounting experience. His practice focusses on anti-corruption/FCPA... | Read More
Mr. Shah has approximately 16 years of public accounting experience. His practice focusses on anti-corruption/FCPA matters, including internal investigations, compliance programs, and due diligence. Mr. Shah has represented clients before the DOJ as well as the SEC. He frequently speaks on anti-corruption/FCPA topics and has instructed at various universities, including Georgetown Law School, University of Virginia, University of Missouri, and DePaul University.Close
James Gargas, MAcc, CPA, CFF, CFE
Mr. Gargas has more than a decade of specialized anti-corruption and forensic accounting experience. His practice... | Read More
Mr. Gargas has more than a decade of specialized anti-corruption and forensic accounting experience. His practice focuses on internal investigations, compliance programs and due diligence. Mr. Gargas has worked extensively with Corporate Compliance personnel to develop, implement and refine monitoring programs as well as with Internal Audit departments to test anti-corruption controls and assess substantive compliance practices at clients' international subsidiaries, and he has visited more than 60 countries for anti-corruption matters.Close
David A. Wilson
Mr. Wilson focuses on complex civil litigation, internal and government investigations, and securities enforcement... | Read More
Mr. Wilson focuses on complex civil litigation, internal and government investigations, and securities enforcement matters. He represents clients in investigations conducted by the Securities and Exchange Commission congressional committees, and various federal agencies. He has led and been involved in many internal corporate investigations, including audit committee and special committee investigations.Close