Export Control Compliance: Technology Transfers and Deemed Exports
Crafting a Comprehensive Compliance Program to Mitigate Penalties for Inadvertent Violations
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE seminar will discuss export regulations and enforcement for transfer of technology and technical data and the steps companies and counsel should take to minimize risk and remain compliant with export regulations.
- Regulations and enforcement
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
- Export Administration Regulations (EAR)
- Scope of the laws and application to U.S. and non-U.S. persons
- Different forms of export licenses and other authorizations that apply to tech transfers
- Enforcement trends and who is at risk and why
- Developing controls
- Basic elements of export controls compliance program for tech transfers and services
- Identifying where tech transfers occur or can occur
- Designing effective protective measures
- Confidentiality requirements
- IP requirements
- Liability allocation for export requirements and certifications
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What factors does Commerce Department Bureau of Industry and Security consider when assessing the effectiveness of a company's export compliance program?
- What key elements should be incorporated in an effective company export compliance program?
- What steps should companies and counsel take if misconduct is suspected?
- What constitutes voluntary disclosure and when should it be made?
Giovanna M. Cinelli
She chairs the firm’s Export Control Practice Group. She advises clients on complex export/import control and... | Read More
She chairs the firm’s Export Control Practice Group. She advises clients on complex export/import control and compliance matters involving export transactional due diligence, investigations, audits, technology transfer, licensing, national security, and industrial espionage issues.Close
O'Melveny & Myers
Ms. Lichtenbaum's practice principally relates to regulations governing international business transactions and... | Read More
Ms. Lichtenbaum's practice principally relates to regulations governing international business transactions and trade. She handles matters related to U.S. economic sanctions, export controls, antiboycott, and FCPA. Ms. Lichtenbaum also assists clients to develop corporate compliance programs, conducts internal investigations relating to potential violations and represents clients in connection with enforcement proceedings.Close