Expert Witnesses in Bad Faith and Coverage Litigation
Admitting and Excluding Opinion Testimony: Burden of Proof, Prohibited Subjects, Industry Standards, Scope
Recording of a 90-minute CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will discuss the unique challenges of using opinion experts in bad faith insurance litigation, the legal requirements for tendering expert testimony at trial, and objections to overcome.
- Overview of evidentiary rules on expert opinion testimony
- Typical insurance experts (underwriters, claims handlers, brokers, regulators, and attorneys)
- Opinions in coverage litigation (underwriting risks, duties under the policy, the ambiguity of policy language)
- Opinions in bad faith claims (the standards resulting from the “good faith” claim principles and whether the insurer’s conduct complied with the principles' reasonableness of claims
- Objections to witness testimony;
- Avoiding pitfalls in presenting expert opinions in these types of cases.
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- On what issues are experts not permitted to render opinions?
- What industry experts are best suited for bad faith claims, and what are typical challenges or objections to their testimony?
- What industry experts are best suited for insurance coverage claims, and what are frequent challenges or objections to their testimony?
- Under what circumstances would attorneys play a role in presenting expert witness opinions?
Guy O. Kornblum
Guy O. Kornblum
Mr. Kornblum has specialized as a trial and appellate lawyer for 40 years. He has handled over 3,500... | Read More
Mr. Kornblum has specialized as a trial and appellate lawyer for 40 years. He has handled over 3,500 litigated matters to conclusion and has several million dollar plus cases to his credit. Mr. Kornblum’s practice focuses on representing plaintiffs, claimants, policyholders and victims of tortious and contractual wrongs in insurance bad faith, among other claims.Close
Bradley A. Levin
Mr. Levin focuses his practice on tort and commercial litigation, especially insurance bad... | Read More
Mr. Levin focuses his practice on tort and commercial litigation, especially insurance bad faith and insurance coverage disputes, representing corporate and individual policyholders alike. He argued the leading Colorado case concerning pre-judgment assignment agreements to the state supreme court. Mr. Levin lectures frequently on insurance law topics.Close