Expert Reports and Opinions: Uncovering Logical Weaknesses and Methodologies
Recording of a 90-minute CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will guide counsel through better strategies and practices for thoroughly reviewing an opposing expert's report efficiently but carefully. The panel will discuss why most counsel fail to get as much leverage as possible by failing to follow the best procedures. The panel will explain how to understand the opposing party's argument, identify contradictions, avoid self-contradictions, provide alternatives to areas believed to be incorrect, and verify suspect research or methodologies. The program will also offer examples with commonly seen expert reports.
- What a well written expert report should contain
- Analyzing the report
- Understanding the opposing party's argument
- Identifying contradictions
- Avoiding self-contradictions
- Providing alternatives to areas believed to be incorrect
- Verifying suspect research and methodologies
- Applications to commonly seen experts
The panel will review these and other essential questions:
- Why do many attorneys fail to glean as much leverage as they could from expert reports?
- How can counsel spot and eliminate confirmation bias when reviewing reports?
- What are common red flags of logical fallacy?
- What should counsel do if the opposing expert's report seems insurmountable?
- What practices can speed up the review, and what are the most valuable if time is short?
Scott M. Blumen
The Law Offices of Scott Blumen
Mr. Blumen exclusively handles personal injury and workers’ compensation cases. He produces favorable... | Read More
Mr. Blumen exclusively handles personal injury and workers’ compensation cases. He produces favorable results because of a clearly-defined mission to listen to clients and achieve their goals through responsible and effective representation on a cost-efficient basis.Close
Freeman Mathis & Gary
Mr. Holthus is a Partner at Freeman Mathis & Gary's Columbus office. His primary area of focus... | Read More
Mr. Holthus is a Partner at Freeman Mathis & Gary's Columbus office. His primary area of focus is on civil rights and government liability, corporate law, employment, and general liability matters. Mr. Holthus has tried, advocated and or arbitrated nearly one hundred cases before civil juries, administrative licensing (and other) boards and arbitration panels throughout Ohio (and California), in both state and federal court.Close
Roger J. Marzulla
Mr. Marzulla is one of the nation’s leading water, property, and environmental lawyers. As Assistant... | Read More
Mr. Marzulla is one of the nation’s leading water, property, and environmental lawyers. As Assistant Attorney General in charge of the U.S. Justice Department’s Environment and Natural Resources Division, he learned firsthand the operations and litigation styles of his client agencies: EPA, Interior Department, Bureau of Reclamation, Fish and Wildlife Service, National Marine Fisheries Service, Department of Transportation, and Department of Commerce.Close