Expanded State Tax Duties for Businesses: Sales and Income Tax, Navigating New State Compliance Challenges
Wayfair Impact on Income Taxes; Economic Nexus Exemptions; Retroactive Tax Collection on Out-of-State Sellers; The Home Rule
Note: CLE credit is not offered on this program
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This webinar will provide tax professionals and advisers an in-depth analysis and guidance for navigating the continued expansion of state tax duties and compliance for businesses. The panel will discuss the post-Wayfair landscape updates and how states have opened new and broader tax pipelines. The panel will also discuss small-seller economic nexus exemptions, retroactive tax collection on out-of-state sellers, marketplace facilitator updates, Home Rules, and streamlined sales tax efforts by some states.
- State tax compliance challenges and recent updates
- Streamlining sales tax efforts: SST, MTC, Alaska, Colorado
- Retroactive tax collection on out-of-state sellers
- Marketplace facilitator liability
- Home Rule
- Wayfair impact on income and other taxes
The panel will discuss these and other key issues:
- What are the latest state tax laws and regulations that expand the tax duties of businesses?
- What are the latest updates for marketplace facilitator liability?
- What is Home Rule and how has it impacted state tax compliance?
- What states impose retroactive tax collection on out-of-state sellers and what are the compliance obstacles?
- What are some of the streamlined sales tax efforts and compliance best practices for taxpayers and tax professionals?
- What impact does Wayfair have on income and other taxes?
Stacey L. Roberts, CPA
State and Local Tax Director
Ms. Roberts finds the singular state and local tax (SALT) area fascinating and is energized by the daily challenges to... | Read More
Ms. Roberts finds the singular state and local tax (SALT) area fascinating and is energized by the daily challenges to design solutions that improve business tax outcomes. With 20+ years of public and private sector accounting experience, both practical and in management, she’s gained the essential business acumen necessary to be a key advisor to clients. Ms. Roberts works closely with business clients managing all compliance issues related to state income/franchise, state and local sales and use, real and personal property and unclaimed property taxes for flow through entities and C corporations; identifying planning opportunities and state and local credits and incentives; and, mitigating state and local tax controversy issues with auditors and taxing jurisdictions.
Stacey began her career with Andersen Worldwide/Andersen LLP, where she began to hone her state and local tax experience. She added stints at KPMG and Deloitte before moving in-house with Ball Corporation as their manager of State and Local Tax Administration. An interlude with a regional tax firm followed before Stacey joined TaxOps. Ms. Roberts is a frequent speaker and author on SALT issues for industry and professional organizations including the Denver Tax Institute, Product PowerUp, NowCFO and more.
Judith B. Vorndran, JD, CPA, MSBA
Ms. Vorndran helps clients and tax professionals navigate the morass of state and local tax issues with the goal of... | Read More
Ms. Vorndran helps clients and tax professionals navigate the morass of state and local tax issues with the goal of making it less “taxing!” She is a nationally recognized thought leader and award-winning instructor with a steady focus on finding ways to simplify complex state and local tax issues and resolve areas of state tax controversy.Close