Evaluating Evidence of Pain in Personal Injury Cases: Pain Journals, Treating Physicians, and Pain Management Experts
A live 90-minute CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss the role, benefits, and risks of pain or post-accident journals, as well as the use of testimony of third parties and medical experts to support or challenge requests for damages representing "pain" and pain management aspects of non-economic damages in personal injury cases. The program will also address dealing with plaintiffs who seek non-economic damages but not medical expenses.
- Defining pain and suffering
- Post-accident journals
- Best practices
- Protecting journals from discovery
- Impeachment and cross-examination using journals
- Using or challenging experts regarding severity and permanency of pain
- Using or challenging experts regarding present and future pain management
- Dealing with plaintiffs that seek pain and suffering damages but no medical expenses
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- Are post-accident journals protected from discovery?
- How can defense counsel attempt to show that the plaintiff's pain is exaggerated?
- What types of experts might defense counsel use to convince the jury that the plaintiff's claims are not worthy of a significant damage award?
- What types of cases can pain management expert witnesses assist with?
- What is partial permanent disability?
Barry M. Snyder, Esq.
The Law Office of Barry M. Snyder
Mr. Snyder has more than 40 years of experience. He is admitted to practice in all of the courts of Florida and the... | Read More
Mr. Snyder has more than 40 years of experience. He is admitted to practice in all of the courts of Florida and the United District Courts of the Southern, Middle and Northern District and the U.S. 11 Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Snyder is a Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney and Certified Civil Mediator for Miami-Dade Circuit Court and Mediator for the Department of Insurance.Close
Rusing Lopez & Lizardi
Mr. Torrens represents plaintiffs and defendants in commercial disputes, personal injury matters, and general civil... | Read More
Mr. Torrens represents plaintiffs and defendants in commercial disputes, personal injury matters, and general civil litigation.Close