Estate Planning for Resident and Non-Resident Aliens
Navigating Estate, Gift and GST Tax Rules; Leveraging Estate and Lifetime Gifting Opportunities
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will focus on issues for counsel and tax advisers in estate planning for resident and non-resident aliens, focusing on relevant tax rules and potential estate planning pitfalls and opportunities. The panel will outline and analyze hypothetical estate planning scenarios for both groups.
- Estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax rules applicable to aliens
- U.S. residents
- Non-U.S. residents
- Effect of bilateral estate and gift tax treaties
- Sample estate planning scenarios
- U.S. legal permanent resident married to U.S. citizen
- Both spouses are U.S. legal permanent residents
- Non-resident alien married to U.S. citizen
- Non-resident alien with U.S. assets
- Potential trouble spots
- Choosing executors/trustees
- Children with different citizenships
- Covered expatriates
- Potential opportunities
- Gifts/bequests by non-resident aliens
- Dynasty trusts
- Reporting issues for U.S. recipients
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax rules apply to resident and non-resident aliens?
- What gift and bequest opportunities are available from non-resident aliens to U.S. citizens?
- What are the reporting issues for counsel when U.S. citizen clients are recipients of gifts and bequests from non-resident aliens?
James I. Dougherty
Mr. Dougherty focuses his practice on probate, tax, trust, and estate issues. He assists executors and beneficiaries... | Read More
Mr. Dougherty focuses his practice on probate, tax, trust, and estate issues. He assists executors and beneficiaries through all aspects of the estate administration process including probate, contested estates, contentious trust litigation, tax, and post-mortem estate planning issues. His practice also includes working with affluent individuals in the development and implementation of sophisticated planning techniques to help them accumulate, preserve, and transfer their wealth. In addition to helping clients navigate through complex estate matters and identifying planning opportunities, he is a frequent author and speaker, nationally and internationally, on estate, trust, tax, and probate matters.
Ms. Dungey's practice focuses on transfer tax planning, estate planning and trust structuring for wealthy... | Read More
Ms. Dungey's practice focuses on transfer tax planning, estate planning and trust structuring for wealthy individuals and their families. She works with individuals and their advisors to develop and implement sophisticated planning strategies designed to minimize gift, estate and generation-skipping transfer taxes with trust planning optimized to achieve the individual's tax and non-tax goals, including creditor protection, charitable giving and income tax efficiency. She regularly advises on planning with complex assets including interests in hedge funds, private equity funds and family businesses. She also advises on estate and trust administration matters, including adapting existing trusts to improve their tax efficiency and utility.Close
Ms. Grinberg is a member of the firm's Private Client Group. She represents individuals and fiduciaries with... | Read More
Ms. Grinberg is a member of the firm's Private Client Group. She represents individuals and fiduciaries with respect to complex cross-border planning, trust and estate administration, charitable giving, trust and estate disputes and family law issues. Ms. Grinberg frequently works with clients, attorneys, fiduciaries and investment advisers within and outside the U.S.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
A savings of $200
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$394 + $19.45 S&H