Estate Planning Asset Protection Strategies
Leveraging LLCs and Trusts to Protect Assets and Preserve Wealth
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This teleconference will examine the use of LLCs, foreign trusts and domestic asset protection trusts to protect the assets of small or family businesses as well as individual investors. The panel will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each entity and outline strategies to avoid pitfalls in using these entities.
- Maximizing exempt asset planning
- Homestead exemption
- Using LLCs to protect nonexempt assets
- Statutory review
- Charging orders
- Impact of recent case law on single-member LLCs
- Sample LLC planning structures
- International v. domestic LLCs
- Using asset protection trusts to protect nonexempt assets
- Protective trust provisions
- Jurisdiction selection – international v. domestic
- Impact of recent case law
- Sample APT planning structures
- International compliance
- Impact of FACTA
- Other disclosure and reporting requirements
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What makes an LLC preferable to an S corporation or a trust for estate planning and asset protection purposes?
- Is the Olmstead case indicative of a trend toward disregarding single-member LLCs for asset protection, or is it an outlier?
- How do asset protection trusts work, and which state statutory trusts provide the most protection?
- How have more restrictive FBAR rules impacted the choice to use foreign trusts?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
James M. Duggan
Mr. Duggan's practice has concentrated principally on business and corporate law, and estate and wealth planning,... | Read More
Mr. Duggan's practice has concentrated principally on business and corporate law, and estate and wealth planning, primarily as they relate to closely held business interests and high net worth families. His experience in the structuring and implementation of Family Offices, sophisticated tax planning, and asset protection planning strategies is nationally recognized.Close
Gregory J. Bertsch
His primary focus is on business and corporate planning, federal taxation, and estate planning for private clients. His... | Read More
His primary focus is on business and corporate planning, federal taxation, and estate planning for private clients. His experience includes advising clients on sophisticated taxation issues designed to minimize income and estate taxes, protect assets and preserve wealth. He also has expertise with international tax planning concepts for multinational companies and captive insurance arrangements.Close