Enforcing Remedies Under California's One-Action Rule: Foreclosure, Deficiency Claims, Debtor Defenses
What Constitutes an "Action" and Avoiding Violations: Lessons Learned from Case Law
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will examine California's One-Action Rule and its applications, judicially created exceptions to the rule, and the consequences of taking an "action" or violating the One-Action Rule.
- Statutory basis for the One-Action Rule
- Limitations imposed under the One-Action Rule
- Security first rule
- Prohibition against filing multiple lawsuits
- What constitutes an "action"
- Consequences of violating the One-Action Rule
- Enforceability of waivers
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What distinguishes the One-Action Rule from standard foreclosure law and practice?
- Can the security first rule prevent a lender from pursuing a guarantor?
- What remedies can the lender exercise without being deemed to have taken an "action" under the One-Action Rule?
- Does the lender forfeit any foreclosure remedies if it violates the One-Action Rule?
Marc A. Liverant
Morgan Lewis & Bockius
Mr. Liverant advises real estate developers, owners, operators, investors, lenders and other end-users in the... | Read More
Mr. Liverant advises real estate developers, owners, operators, investors, lenders and other end-users in the acquisition, development, financing, leasing, and disposition of development parcels, office buildings, shopping centers, single-use properties, hotels, residential subdivisions, energy projects, and mixed-used projects. He negotiates and drafts real estate–related agreements that include property purchase and sale agreements; industrial, retail, and commercial leases (including ground leases and master leases); easements; option, joint venture, and management agreements; construction documents; and film and television location agreements.Close
Paul M. Williams
Morgan Lewis & Bockius
Mr. Williams advises clients on a range of merger, acquisition, disposition, development, and financing transactions,... | Read More
Mr. Williams advises clients on a range of merger, acquisition, disposition, development, and financing transactions, including cross-border transactions. Specifically, he focuses his practice on the acquisition, divestiture, financing, and development of energy, industrial, commercial, and mixed-use projects. Mr. Williams provides advice to conventional resource companies, energy companies, real estate developers, lenders, venture capital and private equity investors, owners, and operators.Close