Ending the Attorney-Client Relationship: Best Practices to Avoid Ethics Violations and Malpractice Claims
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide attorneys and firms with a clear overview of the ethical considerations in terminating a client relationship in various select situations. The panel will outline post-termination obligations and best practices for smoothly concluding the attorney-client relationship.
- Termination of attorney by the client
- Termination due to attorney conflict of interest
- Termination under cloud of legal malpractice
- Terminating client for nonpayment of fees
- Terminating client for improper conduct
- Termination after an attorney’s departure from the firm
The panel will review these and other high risk questions:
- What ethical rules govern specific trigger events for terminating the relationship—and when do attorneys have discretion to fire the client?
- What should the termination notice to the client say and how much advanced notice should be provided to the client?
- What are the attorney’s continuing fiduciary duties to a client post-termination?
Kim M. Jackson
Bovis Kyle Burch & Medlin
Mr. Jackson defends attorneys and other professionals in malpractice claims, handles all forms of coverage and bad... | Read More
Mr. Jackson defends attorneys and other professionals in malpractice claims, handles all forms of coverage and bad faith disputes, defends catastrophic injury cases, typically focusing on premises liability, represents companies and professionals in various types of complex commercial litigation, and defends employers in employment discrimination claims. He has represented many attorneys in both civil claims brought by clients and non-clients in Georgia, Texas, California and Ohio, and in licensing issues brought before the State Bar of Georgia.Close
Ms. Zavieh focuses exclusively on attorney ethics, providing full and limited scope representation to attorneys facing... | Read More
Ms. Zavieh focuses exclusively on attorney ethics, providing full and limited scope representation to attorneys facing State Bar disciplinary action, primarily in California. She provides guidance to practicing attorneys on questions of legal ethics, and speaking on ethics issues at conferences and events. She provides full scope representation and associated counsel assistance at various stages of the disciplinary process.Close