Employer Obligations to Military Personnel Under USERRA and the ADA
Complying With Reinstatement and Reemployment Requirements and Avoiding Discrimination Claims
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide employers' counsel with a review of the legal obligations employers owe returning and disabled U.S. military personnel. The panel will focus on requirements under the USERRA, ADA, FMLA and the recently passed VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011.
- Recent legal developments regarding veterans' employment rights
- VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011
- Amendment to USERRA
- Proposed amendments to USERRA
- Duties employers owe military personnel and their families
- USERRA obligations
- ADA obligations
- FMLA obligations
- Best practices to comply with federal and state law and defend claims
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What actions has the U.S. government recently taken to expand workplace protections extended to U.S. military personnel?
- What are an employer's obligations under the USERRA, ADA and FMLA to veterans and their families?
- What steps should counsel to employers take to ensure compliance with federal and state laws and defend discrimination or hostile work environment claims?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Mark J. Girouard
Nilan Johnson Lewis
He defends employers in single plaintiff cases, private class actions and litigation against the EEOC and other... | Read More
He defends employers in single plaintiff cases, private class actions and litigation against the EEOC and other government agencies. He is currently defending several nationwide class actions. He also advises employers on issues under federal and state law, including pre-employment assessments, military leave, family and medical leave, disability accommodations, and wage and hour compliance.Close
Steven L. Herrick
Director of Legal Services
With some 30 years of experience in all facets of litigation, he provides representation to clients across a broad... | Read More
With some 30 years of experience in all facets of litigation, he provides representation to clients across a broad spectrum of employment-related matters. He practices before federal, state and District of Columbia courts, the MSPB and the EEOC as well as represents clients in arbitration, mediation and agency proceedings.Close
Conrad Shawn Kee
He is one of the most experienced management side lawyers handling claims under the Uniformed Services Employment and... | Read More
He is one of the most experienced management side lawyers handling claims under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) and has handled dozens of USERRA matters around in the country. He is often a featured speaker on employment law topics at regional and national programs. He has also been interviewed on employment law issues by major publications.Close