Embedded Appellate Counsel at the Trial Level: Demonstrating Your Value to Trial and In-House Counsel
Identifying and Optimizing Opportunities to Partner With Trial Counsel Before, During and After Trial
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will discuss how appellate counsel can optimize opportunities to partner with trial counsel and in-house counsel early and throughout litigation, to help develop litigation strategy and create the strongest record to win on appeal.
- Partnering with trial counsel
- Developing legal theories and litigation strategy
- Preparation of motions, jury instructions, and verdict forms
- Involvement during trial
- Post-judgment proceedings
- Partnering with in-house counsel
- Case evaluation
- Ethical issues
- Assessing risks and benefits of pursuing an appeal
The panel will review these and other issues:
- How can appellate counsel most effectively contribute at trial?
- How can appellate counsel help create a strong record for appeal?
- What qualities do in-house counsel look for in an appellate specialist?
- What business development strategies can help appellate counsel increase partnerships with trial counsel?
Horvitz & Levy
Mr. Cutting has been lead counsel in appeals involving a wide range of subject areas, including business disputes,... | Read More
Mr. Cutting has been lead counsel in appeals involving a wide range of subject areas, including business disputes, insurance law, products liability, and toxic torts. He has presented dozens of oral arguments, including appearances before the California Supreme Court and the Supreme Court of Guam. He has particular expertise in cases involving punitive damages, has handled a number of appeals in which substantial punitive damage awards were reversed or sharply reduced, and has provided commentary on punitive damages litigation for various media outlets.Close
Deena Jo Schneider
Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis
Ms. Schneider concentrates her practice in appeals and issue-oriented litigation. She is experienced in virtually every... | Read More
Ms. Schneider concentrates her practice in appeals and issue-oriented litigation. She is experienced in virtually every aspect of motion and appellate practice and often serves as a strategic advisor while a case is prepared and tried, later handling or partnering on the post-trial proceedings and appeals. She litigates in federal and state courts at all levels, including the Supreme Court of the United States, and has worked on a number of celebrated cases involving diverse procedural and substantive issues, representing both plaintiffs and defendants. She also has a significant counseling practice and regularly speaks and writes on appellate practice, antitrust and trade regulation, corporate and fiduciary conduct, and e-commerce and technology.Close