Effective Discovery Strategies in Class Action Litigation
Leveraging Trends and Best Practices for Depositions, Expert Witnesses and E-Discovery
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will prepare class counsel to handle discovery challenges that often arise in class action litigation. The panel will discuss new considerations impacting witness statements and outline cost effective approaches to managing the discovery process.
- Removal and the Class Action Fairness Act
- Motions to stay discovery pending dispositive motions practice and class certification timing requirements
- Organizing and coordinating plaintiff’s counsel
- Bifurcation: certification versus merits
- Class discovery and timing
- Preparing lead plaintiff
- Witness statements: Coito ruling
- Use of experts
- Rule 23 class certification requirements
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- How do courts approach bifurcation of discovery and whether it relates to certification versus merits?
- How are defense counsel using e-discovery to defeat class certification?
- How are plaintiff’s counsel responding to requests for discovery, both named and unnamed?
- What methodologies have been effective for plaintiff and defense counsel for obtaining essential information in the least-expensive manner?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Paul S. Rosenlund
He is a trial lawyer who advises and represents business clients in a variety of areas, including products liability... | Read More
He is a trial lawyer who advises and represents business clients in a variety of areas, including products liability litigation and risk management; toxic torts; unfair competition and commercial disputes, including international arbitration; trade secrets; trademark, copyright and patent litigation; and class actions, including consumer protection, antitrust and unfair lending issues.Close
Paul J. Lukas
His practice focuses on employment litigation, obtaining favorable verdicts for employees in overtime, age, race,... | Read More
His practice focuses on employment litigation, obtaining favorable verdicts for employees in overtime, age, race, national origin, sex discrimination, sex harassment, whistleblower, sexual assault, retaliation, and minority shareholder cases. He is currently litigating numerous wage and hour and consumer class and collective actions.Close
Nancy R. Thomas
Morrison & Foerster
Her practice focuses on complex civil litigation, particularly the defense of consumer class actions and financial... | Read More
Her practice focuses on complex civil litigation, particularly the defense of consumer class actions and financial services litigation. She has defended claims brought under federal banking laws and regulations, as well as state unfair and deceptive acts and practices statutes, particularly the California Unfair Competition Law.Close