Effective Class Action Discovery Strategies
Best Practices for Depositions, Expert Witnesses and E-Discovery
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This seminar will discuss common discovery obstacles in class action litigation and will provide strategies for counsel on cost-effective approaches to managing the discovery process.
- Introduction and overview
- Removal and CAFA
- Motions to stay discovery pending dispositive motions practice and class certification timing requirements
- Organizing and coordinating plaintiffs counsel
- Bifurcation: class versus merits discovery
- Considerations and strategy
- Practical effects (or not)
- Class discovery and timing issues
- Discovery of lead plaintiff/preparing lead plaintiff
- Discovery of and from absent class members/plaintiffs perspective
- Plaintiff’s discovery-shot gun or sniper?
- Use of experts
- Rule 23 class certification requirements — how to satisfy or disprove through discovery
- Special considerations
- Settlement considerations
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What are the most common discovery challenges class action litigators face — from initiation through resolution of the case?
- How are defense attorneys using e-discovery to defeat class certification?
- How are plaintiff's counsel responding to requests for discovery of class members — both named and unnamed?
- What strategies have been effective for plaintiff and defense counsel for obtaining essential information in the least expensive manner?
Donna L. Wilson
Kelley Drye & Warren
She has experience in litigation and counseling in the areas of consumer financial services and insurance recovery. She... | Read More
She has experience in litigation and counseling in the areas of consumer financial services and insurance recovery. She has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in complex multi-party actions.Close
Robert J. Bonsignore
Bonsignore & Brewer
He focuses on complex business litigation, consumer protection, class actions and multi-district litigation. He has... | Read More
He focuses on complex business litigation, consumer protection, class actions and multi-district litigation. He has served as lead trial lawyer in cases involving substantial jury verdicts.Close
Other Formats— Anytime, Anywhere
CLE On-Demand Audio