Effective Class Action Discovery Strategies
Best Practices for Depositions, Expert Witnesses and E-Discovery
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This seminar will discuss common discovery obstacles in class action litigation and will provide strategies for counsel on cost-effective approaches to managing the discovery process.
- Introduction and overview
- Removal and CAFA
- Motions to stay discovery pending dispositive motions practice and class certification timing requirements
- Organizing and coordinating plaintiffs counsel
- Bifurcation: class versus merits discovery
- Considerations and strategy
- Practical effects (or not)
- Class discovery and timing issues
- Discovery of lead plaintiff/preparing lead plaintiff
- Discovery of and from absent class members/plaintiffs perspective
- Plaintiff’s discovery-shot gun or sniper?
- Use of experts
- Rule 23 class certification requirements — how to satisfy or disprove through discovery
- Special considerations
- Settlement considerations
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What are the most common discovery challenges class action litigators face — from initiation through resolution of the case?
- How are defense attorneys using e-discovery to defeat class certification?
- How are plaintiff's counsel responding to requests for discovery of class members — both named and unnamed?
- What strategies have been effective for plaintiff and defense counsel for obtaining essential information in the least expensive manner?
Donna L. Wilson
Kelley Drye & Warren
She has experience in litigation and counseling in the areas of consumer financial services and insurance recovery. She... | Read More
She has experience in litigation and counseling in the areas of consumer financial services and insurance recovery. She has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in complex multi-party actions.Close
Robert J. Bonsignore
Bonsignore & Brewer
He focuses on complex business litigation, consumer protection, class actions and multi-district litigation. He has... | Read More
He focuses on complex business litigation, consumer protection, class actions and multi-district litigation. He has served as lead trial lawyer in cases involving substantial jury verdicts.Close
Access Anytime, Anywhere
Strafford will process CLE credit for one person on each recording. All formats include program handouts.
CLE On-Demand Audio